dead bearing???

is their a way to revive a dead bearing because mine is dead. i’ve lubed it. and i know for certain i haven’t lubed it too much.

Try cleaning it, I usually use paint thinner.

There are certain people who claim they can revive dead bearing. I’ve never personally had a bearing die so I’ve never tested, but if you pop over to the soda cleansing thread I believe he does it for pretty cheap.

What else have you done? If it just died after you lubed it, then you probably applied too much lube. Try cleaning it. Lube slows bearings down. Use it sparingly.

Otherwise…

(shield’s Ultimate Bearing Mod)

[quote=shield400]I’ve thought about letting my little secret out for some time and have finally decided to do so. If you want the smoothest quietest longest spinning bearing you can find here is what to do. Oh, and yes it plays just like and is much quieter than any ceramic bearing I’ve tried but DO NOT do this mod to a ceramic bearing. Any other kind of bearing will work.

(1) Take the shields off of the bearing. You can only take off one but you’ll get better results if you remove both sides.

(2) Clean out all the oil and dirt with the chemical of your choice. I’ve always used Mineral Spirits also knows as paint thinner, it has always worked the best for me.

(3) Once dry get some Metal Polish and pack the insides of the bearing with it. If you have a Dremel give it a “very low RPM” spin for 20-30 seconds or spin the bearing by hand for about a minute working it back and forth. Please note that it must be a smooth cream like metal polish, do not use Flitz or polish with a gritty texture.

(4) Once your done soak the bearing again in Mineral Spirits and use a soft toothbrush to help wash out the polish. Give the bearing 2-3 washes until all the polish is gone. I recommend to refill the container your using with fresh Mineral Spirits after each wash.

(5) Once dry give it a few spins to make sure all the polish is out. I usually put the shields back on and very lightly oil but you don’t have to.

Thats it, your done. It seems like a lot of trouble but I assure you it is well worth it. Once you try this on one of your bearings you won’t want to play with a stock one again.
[/quote]

I usually just put them in a little bag that I label “crappy”, they just sit in it until I get an awesome idea of what to do to them. I usually get them in trades where people are totally inconsiderate and put a bearing into the yoyo they’re trading. I’ve seen people make a yoyo holder using a clip, hair tie, and a bearing. They work well, and it’s even better to use a dead bearing on it cause it won’t be in use. Get creative! I just put a new bearing in once one has died, and then buy another as a back up.

If you have cleaned and lubed (pinhead amount) and still is d.e.a.d :smiley: then try cleaning it in something els and see what happens.

Maybe you added too much lube?

My results with bringing back a dead bearing have been largely a failure. However, I am still open to trying a few more cost effective ideas.

First, cleaning. I clean in mineral spirits, then paper slips, then acetone, then repeat the two baths again. If the bearing is in good condition, then this is usually as far as I need to go.

I also Terrapin X Dry Play treat all my bearings.

If I’m not getting 20+ seconds of spin out of a bearing, I know I can do better. Most decent bearings I’ve gotten will spin this long on a flick.

Now, I’ve got a bunch of bearings that I’ve basically got no use for that I can experiment with. These are all spinning 10 seconds or less, many are playing responsive as a result. I’ve send them out for soda blasting, but that didn’t help. On a good bearing, the soda blasting is amazing though. I have tried using Brasso metal polish to try recovering a bad bearing, but that hasn’t helped. I also ran that same bearing on a drill backwards and forwards to try to really work on the metal polish through there, and then thoroughly cleaned it out(use the paper slip method here as well as a toothbrush to get it all out, as well as multiple baths in mineral spirits, fresh each time). The results? Took a bearing spinning for 8 seconds to 10 seconds, at which point it stops rather fast.

I’m open to trying some other metal polish product or maybe something else that’s not too expensive. In the meantime, I’ve bee going through the “bad bearings” and doing thorough cleanings to see what will be in the “keeper” pile and what goes in the “bad bag”. I’ve also been buying bearings here and there from various yoyo retailers.

Do a paper cleaning. :slight_smile: this always works with my dead bearings.[color=purple][color=purple]
[url=http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,23234.0.html