Dark Magic response help PLEASE!

Hey Guys. I am a newbie at playing but i wanted to get better so i switched from a duncan mosquito to a dark magic. I love the yoyo, really nice sleeper, but it isnt very responsive. The gap is as small as it can go and ive used two different strings. I need to yank it up half-way to my hand for it to catch.

Any Advice,
Thanks, bsubroncos

Some YoYoJam Yo-Yos are meant to be responsive, and some are un-responsive.

You got a Dark Magic, and that Yo-Yo isn’t really made to be responsive.

My advice, when you clean your bearing, use thick lube to keep it going.

Avalible here: http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyojam/thick-lube/

Good luck! :wink:

1 Like

There’s a thing called a Bind Return. It’s how players with unresponsive yoyos bring their yoyos back to their hand.

Dark Magic, however, is supposedly able to be tug responsive if you put Thick Lube on it.

1 Like

Yeah, just learn some simple bind returns and then you’re set.
But if you have problems in binding, then yes, you should get some thick lube.

1 Like

Thanks so much you guys ill try these out and get back with any questions.

you could get thick lube which would probably be the best option…
Or you can get a YYF half spec bearing which would give you longer spintimes and make your gap smaller.

1 Like

just go with the lube 8)

Mosquito to DM- Kind of a big step, but OK. It would be good to learn to bind so the yoyo is still unresponsive and you can use it to it’s full potential. Spencer L. is right, the Dark Magic is one of the ones that is not responsive. I hope this helped! (binding ftw!)

Just pointing out, my dark magic with a 10Ball (cleaned) and a thick red shim can return with a violent tug. Even my friend’s kickside with a maximum adjustable gap and a cleaned bearing can be tugged violently for a return. I think it has something to do with the starbursts, and the strength of your throw.

Dark magics are one of the most responsive metal rims I have ever played with, but for beginners, you really might want to learn to bind. Its not hard, and it will help you in the long run. If you need to, just use some thick lube. (Sewing machine oil and trumpet oil work well for it)

My Dark Magic siliconed with a stock bearing is DEAD unresponsive. And I mean DEAD.

Mine is unresponsive, but it will come back when spinning at high rpm and violently tugged. But my Normal DM with a thick shim comes back with a violent tug, but its unresponsive for whips and stuff.

Mine has an O-ring, and its this close to dead unresponsive.

The point of moving away from a mosquito to a DM is to improve trick range. To take full advantage of this, you will need to learn to play with the DM with a clean bearing and setup for unresponsive play. You basically need to take the time to learn how to bind.

It is pretty easy;
Throw the yo-yo.
Notice the direction it is spinning.
Your going to mount the yo-yo on the string behind the direction of the spin.
Drop the mount, and catch the returning yo-yo.

This will get you started in the right direction. Over lubing the bearing to make it tug responsive is basically cheating yourself from the full experience of the DM

u can make the gap tighter or use thick lube and if ur a beginer u shouldnt use a advance yoyo like that ;D

Woa, Necro. Please don’t bring up dead posts.

How many times must I say this. If its a necro, ignore it, don’t bother pointing it out. By pointing it out, you are necroing.

Now, I’m going to start ignoring necro necros. I said so last week, but people are necroing necroed posts too often.

Okay, I’ll stop pointing peopleout, but I don’t get how I necroed.

i broked my dark magic will playing 4a had a bad throw it hit the ceiling then the wallthen a pictire of me from 1st grade then a speark the rolled off of that and hit the floor

That was comepletely irrelevent to this topic.

since the other guy necroed just leave it and let it go to the next page or the bottom but sinced you posted you actually just made it go to the top of the page yourself