Dark Magic or Protostar?

Hi,
So, right now, I have a FH Zero, and feel that I need a higher level yoyo, and I have my focus on either the YYF Protostar, or the Dark Magic.

Preferences:
-I want a yoyo that has a wide gap.
-Color doesn’t matter much.
-Response system doesn’t really matter.
-I’d like it to sleep over two minutes.
-A yoyo I could use for freehand? not a priority though.
-not too much vibe
-heavier than Freehand… not priority

Price Range: $50 or under. Preferably under. ;D

Thanks for the help! :smiley:

any 1a yoyo can be used for counterweight/freehand/5a.

both have very wide gaps but protostar is wider

a good yoyoer could make any decent yoyo sleep for 2 min. it depends on the throw. i can get both to do it but it doesn’t mean you can yet. i have been practicing for a year.

both are pretty smooth but i think protostar wins this part

protostar is also cheaper.

food for thought:
protostar has an H shape which some people don’t like too much. DM has a more average shape.
also, if you can’t bind, protostar is unresponsive. DM has adjustable gap so it wont be a problem with that

I REALLY recommend the YYF Protostar. It saves money and is better than the Dark Magic by a LONGSHOT. I hope you consider my opinion because I have both of them. ;D

I have the ProtoStar and the DM and I really like the ProtoStar alot. But beaware this is a really advanced yoyo and if you can’t bind, I don’t reccomend you get it. Otherwise go ahead, most amazing yoyo I’ve ever played with for the price.

Yeah beware, I like them both alot but if the shape of the dark magic was combined with the smoothness of the protostar it would be great… I suggest the DM as a start IMO if you are able to get or try both that will help you choose yoyos later on :wink:

Try a Yomega Dash or a Shinwoo Hi-Power Zen

Personally I hate my Dark Magic, I am not a fan of any starburst response.

If you like grinds, DM is better for grinding.

If you want smoothness, playability and all that, the Protostar is waaaaay better.

maybe you can get the Protostar with a lot of thin lube, then when you get the Protostar and if you can’t bind then put a drop( By the way when you are normally lubing you only need about a tip of a needle.)of thin lube which is too much to make it slightly responsive so you can learn bind.

Thin lube makes it unresponsive. Thick lube makes it responsive.

Once more: If you are starting out, get the DM, if you’re moving into advanced tricks, ProtoStar. Look at my post above somewhere.

I thought too much thin lube makes it responsive???

Yeah it does, but if you keep breaking it in, it’ll be unresponsive again.

Im gonna have to say Dark Magic. Ive used both alot, and Dark Magic just feel better on the string and when in combos. I do not consider myself an expert (on advanced 1 and 2) so I dont see the protostar’s appeal to an expert. The protostar feels clunky and sluggish because of its h-shape. Sleep times are close.

These are opions, and mine is favorable towards the Dark Magic.

Now for facts. The Dark Magic and the Protostar both feature equal playibilty and smoothness, but just in different shapes and different materials. Neither is “better” than the other. It’s all opion.
That being said, you real question is what shape, response, and build of a yoyo you like.

Shape: H or flat rimmed?
Weight: 70g or 67g?
Material: Plastic with embeded metal rims or plastic with external metal rims?
Response: Yoyojam Hybrid or CBC pad?
Bearing: Flat or Center-Trac?
Gap: Fixed or adjustable?

Simply fill this out and you should be able to pick the right yoyo for you.

~Jump

Filled OUt^^

The protostar is right for you, it has a Center-Trac and a CPC pad and is heavier than FHZ, and its also H Shape. Hope you have fun with your ProtoStar.