Dangers of the wooden fixed axle

I like both for different reasons and am grateful for variety. I like the feel and sound of raw wood. That finish on the TK and BC yoyos does nothing for me on a tactile level. You can’t get a feel for the different grains in different kinds of wood when that finish is there. When that natural friction from the grain rubs against anything, it is so pleasing to my ears as well as my hands. The finish looks really cool on the TK and BCs, and the lack of friction can make it easier to land some tricks. That protective seal is a nice bonus too. Tape measure lifts are much more difficult on finish like the TC/BC, etc.

Yup, exactly my point.

I trust my JFF won’t do this to me.

On a separate note, you’re an imgurian! An upvote for you sir!

Yeah man! Imgur is the best! Easiest management and linking ever. I’ve never had a problem out of it.

That was one nasty splinter dude.
I take it you have given the EH a light sanding by now.

A Natural wood Oil or Beeswax will prevent it from drying out and splitting any further.

I’m pretty sure the trees have spoken and decided to get some well deserved respect. My padauk Pocket Love almost got me. I was about to do some tape measure lifts when I felt something sharp after a catch. I yoyo in very confined spaces often and the unpredictability of responsive fixed play means I get dings all the time. A ding caused the grain to split and rise up. It was surprisingly sharp.
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/3892/t17m.jpg

Aren’t you forgetting to tip your fedora?

Whoa! Close one.
Since my first batch of Pocket loves and jffs I sent to yye, I have begun using my own special, all-natural beeswax blend to seal and polish my fixies. Hopefully it will help in eliminating some of the splintering :wink:

1 Like

Fellow lefty here too! No pain no gain. Glad you got the splinter out and all is well :slight_smile: