Hand turned experiment... For fun.

I turned this wooden yoyo shaped thing today just for something to do… It sucks. It wobbles a lot; BUT, it sleeps, comes back, and I landed a trapeze with it! Lol :slight_smile: and almost an around-the-world.

Maybe something in more of an imperial shape would work better.

Check it out for kicks… Feel free to laugh at it. I did.

edit
I managed to tune out some of the wobble! With some rim weight and a response system it might be barely playable!

Post a video!

IG: j_yo_nah

Ok, here’s a quicky I got of it sleeping and returning. Sorry it’s kind of lame. I didn’t have a helper…

And after each throw the string gets more and more loose around the axel. Some kind of response would fix that I think. Now the inner walls are just smooth. It’s also REALLY LIGHT! 28g…

I think the main issue is the shape. A more traditional, organic string trick shape would work better than what you have. Yours is to much of a V shape IMO.

I think you’re probably right. This one technically works and it was fun to make, so I’ll call it a success! Lol

I might make another one a different day. It was just a round plug cut out of a 2x4, so it’s not like I’ll run out of material any time soon! I think I’ll come up with a way to give it some weight and then make another…

Put some crucial spacers in there, that’ll help with the wobble

IG: j_yo_nah

Looks like fun, which is all that matters. Enjoy the new toy and take pride in knowing you created it yourself. :slight_smile:

I made a couple ball bearing maple yoyos. One thing to add weight that I did was do a two tone yoyo (looks like a bimetal) with the rims being the denser, heavier of the two woods. It has bubinga rims with a maple body.

Can you post some more pics?

It looks rough on the inside, but it’s smooth to the touch. The wood I used is just really terrible for trying to turn anything…

And the 2 halves aren’t exactly alike. Mostly because I’m new to turning.

Are you using poly of cotton string?

Poly. I make my own strings and I don’t have any cotton thread right now.