Currier Wobble

I have a Currier that I think is quite wobbly.
It’s certainly playable, but compared to other yoyos in this weight class with the same materials, it’s much less smooth, and I think it’s spin time suffers for it.

This is a pretty average throw and even if I tamp it down with a fingernail, it wobbles just about like this.

Currier Wobble

Any thoughts on correcting something like that?

1 Like

I would think of switching out the axle sleeve.

1 Like

It has to do with the density of the wood in the halves, how accurately the hardware is installed into the halves how precisely the axle sleeves is turned. There are other factors, but these are the main ones.

Take apart yoyos are often not as smooth either due to their multi-part design. I know. I have been spending the past month trying to make a system that eliminates this, and it isn’t easy (I think I’ve managed to).

My Currier is quite wobbly too. This isn’t to say that the craftsmanship of the Currier is poor, it certainly isn’t. It’s beautifully crafted yoyo.

The wobble shouldn’t affect play too much and it probably isn’t affecting the spin time as much as you might think. It’s not necessarily anything to worry about.

3 Likes

Right, I have a few take apart models, but this one is the only one that wobbles like this. I wasn’t sure if it was more of a function of the Currier itself and how it was made or what. I know it’s a popular one, and I agree it’s very well made.

I always thought wobble had more to do with how well aligned the two halves were? I know inconsistent density in the halves would do it also but I wondered if anyone has had one like this and managed to tune it somehow.

1 Like

You could try cranking the halves a little more. You could also flip the axle and see if that helps.

2 Likes

I gave mine to a certain Colonel, full bird too. He put it on a shelf. Probably for the best. Looks great!

1 Like