Curious about Terrapin products

Keep in mind they were not Terrapin X bearings. The bearings were just sent to me and I treated them

Yossarian and Topo are on the right track here.

I didn’t buy the nostalgia under the claim that it was 90x better than a $50 yoyo… I bought it because it was a yo-yo I liked and admired, and it just happen to cost a lot. I should clarify however, I did not pay anywhere around 4500 for it… S.kon is a friend who didn’t really charge me enough. $4500 is just the retail price it now sells for. Would I have paid 4500? probably… but again, not because I was expecting something 90x better… it has a much greater value to me than performance.

If you want to make the car analogy, it’s like buying a ferrari, then also in an unrelated conversation, saying people are silly to think putting a 4’ spoiler on a civic makes it have 50 more hp. I have no idea how the nostalgia has anything at all to do with this discussion, aside from I guess some bizzarre attack to try and invalidate my comments?

My input into this discussion is simply to make sure consumers are informed about their decision. I couldn’t care less if you want to spend $20, $50 or $1,000,000 on a bearing… as long as you know what you’re getting. My issue with Terrapin stuff is monumental claims with absolutely no substantial backing, and the outright refusal to allow an actual test. Maybe they are in fact the best bearings to ever grace the earth, but I’ve seen nothing to show that they are any better than a $3-5 chinese bearing.

If you’re going to market yourself as the best, you better have a lot more than hype to back it up.

Kyle

[quote=“fjh123,post:41,topic:46809”]

I was unaware of that. Thanks for the information.

Hopefully I’ll get the chance to try out an actual Terrapin bearing at some point in the future.

Just google Terrapin X bearings and see what you find, positive reviews from all over the planet.
OK so I did not send you one for free, let it be I don’t care, sold over 100 yesterday…

Ya know, this “he said, she said” back and forth bit is really getting kind of tiring. Neither you nor kyo are ever going to convince the other so why don’t you just drop it. I know you both are hoping to get the last word…

We’re having a discussion, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. The point of discussion isn’t always to change the mind of the other side… sometimes it’s simply to show there are different sides for others to think about.

Kyle