Curious about Terrapin products

Does “The best in the world” compete with them? I bet he owns many things. Besides, just because one good yoyo player uses them, doesn’t really mean anything.

I’ve had some experience with terrapin bearings, and honestly, not trying to be harsh, I wasn’t really impressed. A good 10 ball is much more quiet and smoother.

I have been really enjoying the dry lube. Whether or not it actually effects the spin time, who can say. In my opinion Terrapin x Dry Lube is a lot better than One drop 4vm or yoyojam/yoyofactory lube. With normal lube there is a play in time where the yoyo is slighly responsive as the lube breaks in. Even with just dipping a pin in the lube and putting it on one of the balls the bearing was still slightly responsive at the beginning. Dry Lube however is good after treatment. There is not break in period and it play smooth after a few spins. Personally I think dry lube is the way to go.

I’ll agree about the points of a bearing spinning under no load. But, if I’m seeing a significant improvement on a flick then there’s something GOOD going on there.

Then, popping that bearing into a yoyo and the performance has improved as well, then clearly, it worked.

It ain’t gonna bring back a dead bearing. On a good functioning bearing, it can really make a difference. I’m pleased with the difference.

I wish I had some testing equipment. I’ve heard there are people who feel it’s the Dry Play makes it feel like it’s “rocket powered”. I trust my ears, but is it spinning faster? Maybe it is. But really, test equipment is a waste of time.

Play your bearings how you like, be it dry, lightly lubed(please don’t heavily lube unless you’re doing 2A, and in which case, you don’t need Terrapin X bearings or Dry Play) or Dry Play. It’s a preference thing.

This isn’t worth arguing over. If you like it, great. If not, there’s sewing machine oil, VM4, YYJ thin lube, YYF Performance Oil, MFD’s lube and others. Use what YOU like best. I don’t care what bearing you use or how you like it lubed. I know what I have a preference for.

I like the Dry Play stuff. I REALLY like it. I used it to treat a pair of Trifectas for a guy for his SER competition routine. He would not give the bearings back. He send me replacements Trifecta bearings. I like it when I do good work! What I like is the Dry Play gives me the performance I want in the bearing I want. At the same time, I do like how the Terrapin X Wing Cut bearings make certain yoyos perform.

So, you buy bearings anyways. You buy lube(of some sort) anyways. Contact him direct. Get some Dry Play and/or a bearing. Or don’t. Your choice.

2 Likes

So could you make a bearing dry lubed yourself? And if so what does it take?

The overwhelming majority will do it themselves. I don’t think you can typically buy a pre-DryPlay’d bearing.

You get a small packet of the stuff, which will last you forever and a day. It’s a very fine powder, and you only need a tiny number of particles.

First you thoroughly clean your bearing. Then you touch the included tool (or a fine paintbrush) to some dust (I think it was Totalartist who says she only grabs a bit from the WALLS of the bag it comes in!) and then barely touch it to one or two bearings. That’s it. Flick or otherwise rotate the bearing for a while and the DryPlay gets distributed throughout.

If you put too much, you will want a nice pure solvent (like 100% acetone, denatured if you can get it though that’s not a strict requirement) to rinse it out and try again, but that’s it. Some people will actually use acetone (I assume on a natural hair fine paintbrush?) to help apply and distribute it right from the get-go.

These two statements don’t go together.

It took me a while to get it proper and I am an aviation engineer with a masters degree…

Yup. Buy the Dry Play and practice.

It works amazing on all bearings that I’ve used it with.

Sure they do. One is a functional art piece that is both beautiful and a monumental technical achievement, one is a bearing that makes things spin.

Kyle

No. It’s a yoyo. Don’t make it into something else. Yes, it is a beautiful, smooth, handcrafted piece of metal, but that doesn’t change the fact that you paid about $4500 for a yoyo.

You paid that money. If you can pay that much for a yoyo, then complaining about the extra $20 for a nice bearing is just stupid.

He didn’t think it would play better thats the differnace.
The claims terrapin has claimed I have replicated with yoyos I have never cleaned bearing of and use liquid lube on.
Its total bs, and wether or not this guy can send stuff to space or make an airplain, doesn’t mean a thing. I also think its funny he never says the name of the this suposidly best in the world player. As if there was such a thing. I assume he must me suzuki. But who the hell knows.
If kyo had thought that the yoyo would somehow be better then any other yoyos your claim would make since. But he didn’t so the point is moot.

Since when is Kyo the be-all end-all person when it comes to yoyos? Just because he’s a professional and a judge doesn’t mean he’s right all the time.

Kyo has a track record of always being right. Having a background in engineering and design as well as over a decade of experience in yo-yos alone certainly helps his case too. Simply put, he’s right all the time because he is.

I also don’t see your point in equating a ceramic bearing to the Nostalgia. One will slightly increase sleep time. The other is a gorgeous piece of workmanship by the worlds greatest yo-yo modder.

Yup. It’s like spending $1Million on a rare Ferrari and then whining about a new set of tires.

1 Like

This thread is funny…
I have a test thrower that can hit 11,300 rpms on my dyno
I start my test at 8,000 to 2,000 when play really happens. Not looking for overall sleep times, though some have hit over21 min.

Just because it’s a cool, beautiful yoyo doesn’t change anything about the fact that it costs $4500. It’s a yoyo. Whatever increase in quality of play on that thing there is, it cannot change the fact that you paid about $4400 more than what a good yoyo costs, just for that “beauty, art and craftsmanship”.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. But,

If you can justify that in your head, then how can’t you justify spending $20 more for a bearing that many people have found, including yourself, to be a bit better? Sure, it may not be that much of a benefit.

Even if it only added 1 or 2 seconds to an average spin time, it’s only 3 or 4 times more expensive than a regular bearing. That Nostalgia costs about 40 times what a good yoyo like the Code 2 or Chief costs.

Now, if that extra 1 or 2 seconds doesn’t matter to you, then fine. I can understand that. I can appreciate that you don’t want to spend $25 on a bearing.

But, before you say that the added spin time doesn’t justify the extra cost, look at yourself and think: “Was spending $4500 on a yoyo really any different from spending 25$ on a yoyo bearing?”

We’re all allowed to spend our money the way we want. That’s the beauty of the system.

You can buy your expensive yoyo, I can buy my expensive bearing. But if we look down upon each other’s purchase, then we are simply pots calling the kettle black.

If someone wants to spend the extra money on a couple extra seconds of spin time during tricks, that is fine. I don’t think kyo is fighting that decision so much as saying people should know what it is they are paying for. Where I think the problem is is that they are marketed as more than that, and they are being hyped with information that sounds great but is not all that relevant to yoyoing, while more relevent testing has been resisted. Kyo (and others) have seen the same thing with other bearings in the past, and have found that the difference in play has not lived up to a lot of people’s expectations. He is just saying consumers should have access to impartial tests of relevent yoyoing conditions for these sorts of things so that they can make informed decisions about whether they are worth the money, and not just rely on the claims of the person selling them. If they still decide it is worth the money, that is fine, just like kyo making an informed decision that the Nostalgia is worth the money.

2 Likes

Its more like spending 1 million on a picaso, and then complaining the mounting hardware costs too much, because it is just the normal picture hanging hardware with claims that it will hold your picture during any event that will ever happen, even though it is no differnt then normal every day hardware, and really will give you no real protection over the normal one.
Haha I missed the mark on that one, because it would have been better to say. Your statement would have been true if the tires where no better and cost 3 times as much.

Just got feedback from a eBay sale on the lube…

“this stuff is awesome, i love it! thank you”

Kinda funny how so many people get so many bearings from me and YYN.
Repeat buyers…

So you’re saying they’re not really for 99% of yoyoers?

It’s pretty clear Kyo didn’t buy the Nostalgia solely for its performance nor has he ever claimed that its performance solely justifies its cost. He already stated that he sees it as an “art piece” and admires it as a “monumental technical achievement”. I’m sure he’s impressed with the performance but that’s certainly not the only reason why he was willing to shell out the big bucks for it.

Bearings on the other hand are valued almost exclusively for their performance and Kyo obviously doesn’t see value in paying a lot extra for a bearing that showed a slight increase in performance during testing which may not even translate to any noticeable benefit in actual play.

Personally I’ve been curious about Terrapin products for a while, particular the Wing bearings and dry lube. The only Terrapin I did have came with my Remnant 2. I was expecting wonders but was sorely disappointed, I replaced it with a OD 10-ball that actually improved performance. Nowadays most of my yoyos use Chinese stainless steel ten ball concaves that cost around $3 each, making it hard to justify the prices bearings sell for in most yoyo shops.