Culinary adventures

I’ve eaten endangered animals. They are delicious.

(disclaimer for those about to rage at me for eating such creatures: I had it in Iceland, where they pay exceedingly close attention to populations of said animals and sustainably hunt said creatures)

Mink whale and puffin. Puffin was just a hair gamy in the best of ways, with a subtle smoke flavor. But the real prize was that mink whale steak. Think: texture of a well done filet mignon, smooth and even. Now pair that with the taste of a really really good beef steak, however, make that beef taste subtle; something that your tastebuds know is there and hunts for it sending your brain on a pleasure cruise of food.

1 Like

Rattlesnake, ostrich, moose, bear, alligator. I’m an adventurous eater. However, I RRREEEAALLLYY want to try a durian.

Also, that pufferfish sushi that could kill you. I’d love the chance at that!

1 Like

I had a kangaroo burger once while I was in Spain and now I’ve made it my mission to try most Aussie mammals.

I’d imagine koalas are really tender. The kangaroo sure wasn’t.

3 Likes

Dawg. Yuk. It was a burger but a terrible one.

Reminds me of a funny Restaurant sign:

2 Likes

Are you aware of the reputation that durian has? I want to try it at some point, but I have to first somehow get past the smell. :expressionless:

1 Like

there is a lot of grades of Durian,
If you are only going to try once, Musan King is the one you want to try, or so I think it’s spelt.

Totally aware of it. I still wanna try it, though. We can’t get it in the US due to import laws and such. But like cigars and good alcohol, there’s always a way… But they’re like $40!

1 Like

Most H-Marts (Asian supermarket chain) should have it. If not, you can try the durian flavored ice cream that many Asian food stores might have.

EDIT: I should note that one reason they are expensive is because the fruit is MASSIVE and sold by the pound.

1 Like

This was said of the fruit.

The five cells are silky-white within, and are filled with a mass of firm, cream-coloured pulp, containing about three seeds each. This pulp is the edible part, and its consistence and flavour are indescribable. A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but which adds to its delicacy. It is neither acidic nor sweet nor juicy; yet it wants neither of these qualities, for it is in itself perfect. It produces no nausea or other bad effect, and the more you eat of it the less you feel inclined to stop. In fact, to eat Durians is a new sensation worth a voyage to the East to experience. … as producing a food of the most exquisite flavour it is unsurpassed.“

I’d be willing to try it.

2 Likes

That description reminds me of Twain on Watermelon:

It is the chief of this world’s luxuries, king by the grace of God over all the fruits of the earth. When one has tasted it, he knows what the angels eat. It was not a Southern watermelon that Eve took; we know it because she repented.

1 Like