Culinary adventures

Made my Tía’s refried beans last night/this morning, and my wife is assembling all the tamale parts I prepped. Test run for freyundsmas dinner on the 21st.

1 Like

i wanna try Mochi not Sochi :wink::joy:

1 Like

They’re both top-notch! Lol. If there’s a whole foods in you’re area they likely have mochi ice cream. Little dollops of ice cream injected into variously flavored Mochi balls and frozen. So hecking delicious.

1 Like

i’ll see if i can get some :smiley:

Bi-cardboard stylin’

2 Likes

The oddest thing I ever tried might be Hakkal in Iceland or whale in Japan.

Oh and a large popcorn in USA. Apparently large there means something very different to the UK.

2 Likes

you should come to America and try our food it’d be hilarious

I have. And I really enjoyed it.
But my first experience was at the car rental.
They were giving out complimentary popcorn with their cars.
Asked if I want small medium or large.

This is the largest size popcorn and drinks come in in Uk (image from google)

The rental car gave me a popcorn that was bigger than the biggest stock pot I have in my house. It was like a vat of popcorn.

That was my first eye opening experience.

3 Likes

is the american Large bigger or smaller then the UK?

1 Like

American larger is water so it doesn’t count :slight_smile:

1 Like

Krabby Patty and Fries.

2 Likes

If you are ever around Southeast Kentucky, or maybe extreme Northeast Tennessee, try a chili bun. It is a regional thing born in rural small towns where cooks are judged on their chicken and dumplings and their hotdog chili. When a restaurant has hotdog chili that is really, really good, then customers tell the restaurant to hold the dog and JUST paut chili in the bun, thus, the chili bun. I’ve been to 36 states but I have never seen a chili bun on the menu anywhere else.

The worst American food I’ve ever tried was a Benedictine sandwich. Mayo, Philly cream cheese, a whisper of cucumber and green food coloring on white bread. So gross.

But then in the same trip I had a hot Brown and BBQ nachos. Which was pulled pork, pump cheese, BBQ sauce on fresh potato chips. So good, yet so bad for the arteries.

1 Like

I live in Knoxville TN and it’s not down this far south. I’m gonna have to look for it now lol

There is a little drive in in Tazwell that has them. We used to stop there on the way to Cherokee Lake. I think it was The Frostie Freeze, or something like that. One of those places that has been around for 50+ years.

I know where it is! They have good fried pickle spears

1 Like

Chamoy Pickle. Cannot recommend.

2 Likes

Lemon pepper chicken thighs and spiral taters. Can recommend.

4 Likes

When I was a kid, that picture is what a large popcorn and soda looked like. How things have changed…

1 Like

one of the roughest and oddest things i’ve eaten was chinchulin(i)… it is kinda like a “cow’s last meal” sausage… this was not intentional, but it was not bad. initially. later on as it, digested, the wife and i were in a world of hurt. like 2 frogs that ate a case of alka seltzer.

2 Likes