Crossover between the fashion industry and the yo-yo industry?

http://edition.cnn.com/style/article/supreme-italia-legal-fake/index.html

It was in Japan that Supreme perfected a sales tactic known as the “drop” – releasing a limited quantity of new clothes on a weekly basis, rather than an entire new collection every season. The strategy, now widely replicated by traditional fashion brands, prompted long lines at Supreme’s stores and fueled online resale marketplaces where prices skyrocketed.

:thinking: if this sounds familiar to yo-yo’ers … maybe it should?

Honestly now that all yo-yos are amazing and a platonic ideal of yo-yo design has been basically reached… the yo-yo industry kinda resembles the fashion industry at this point.

And I’d say that’s not necessarily a bad thing?

13 Likes

like the BAPE yoyo? i’m on the hunt for one of those. i’d say another nice collab would be by Fragment & FRESHTHINGS

4 Likes

Lol I was on supreme forums back in 2010…man I never thought I’d see this here…

Supreme has globalized “exclusivity” - now everyone is mimicking this strategy, The market of rarified goods has emerged, and what comes with that? A resale market.

It’s funny how a skate brand has become a pillar in the fashion world within the past 5 years, LMAO and to think James Jebbia literally ripped off Barbra Kruger’s collages to make the supreme logo. (brings us back to the whole vayder/walker debacle on this thread, no? :laughing:)

But seriously, the “drop” strategy has been implemented into so many retail facets these days, it’s the standard now, I think!

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking for a good long while now the modern yo-yo industry has to resemble the fashion industry. There’s nowhere else to go.

And unlike clothes, these metal yo-yos basically last forever.

6 Likes

Alain Weisman wrote about the overflow of excess yoyos destined to outlive all human life, you can find it in his non fiction book “the world without us”

3 Likes

Supreme and the alpha brands in yoyos are not consumed items. The emotional ‘cop’ is worth more to the customer than the use of the item. I like yoyos. We moved out of the alpha spot to a broader position because I don’t like the sustainability attempting to hold the ‘cool’ spot. Catch me at uniqlo or making yoyos kids throw into the pavement.

6 Likes

I don’t think supreme was the first brand to utilize artificial scarcity to keep their products “exclusive”

2 Likes

Absolutely not!

The list is endless. What about Disney releases of their classic movies? Beanie babies? You could find many many examples if you think about it. The commonality may be in collectibles and fashion to a greater degree.

The computer component industry would not be well served by this tactic.

Limiting supply is an interesting concept for marketing.

But when did clothing become a collector’s item? I know sneakers have always been limited (especially Jordans) - I just don’t think anyone in the clothing industry did it before supreme

1 Like

When I read this thread title I imagined clothing with pockets designed specifically for holding yoyos. I’m a little disappointed. :laughing:

2 Likes

Someone should do that though

1 Like

Carpenter pants are pretty good for yoyo carrying!
I have a pair for work - there’s a pocket beside your knee facing the outside that holds throws pretty well

1 Like

Anti-Yo may have been the first (and best) to copy this type of marketing. Limited edition yoyos, in really great colors, with custom denim pouches included, quick drops, great marketing, even naming two of their most popular yoyos after hyped clothing brands, A Bathing Ape (Bapezilla 1&2) and VisVim (Viszilla). And no wonder they did it so well, Kiya went on to own and operate one of these best denim shops in the world, SelfEdge.

5 Likes

We have a topic for that!

:thinking: this is an incredible crossover, and that’s exactly what I mean!

1 Like

Dude have you seen the show Slobby’s World. He is out in Tempe AZ. Sells nothing but 80s and 90s vintage or fakes for rediculous money. I love my 80s gear but would never drop that kind of money.

2 Likes