Contest Video Photography

Curious to see your opinions on this.

EDIT: Yes, I probably should give examples.

Close up:

Backed up:

In between:

Heh, well it depends on your definition of “close up”. I like to be able to see the tricks and in some cases (when they’re true “performers”) to get a feel for how they use the stage. This requires the camera to be far back enough, but also close enough. :wink: I wouldn’t want to be seeing the entire stage at once most of the time (depending on camera angle it can work sometimes, though) but on the other hand you don’t want to be so close that the yoyo and person keep going out of frame.

Maybe give examples of what you consider to be “close” or “far” for the voters?

I’ll answer for him he means the NER videos.

That doesn’t clear it up for me, though. :wink: I don’t know the specific videos and whether they match his criteria of “close” or “far”!

For example:

Close: you can see the entire torso of the competitor and the camera pans to follow them as they move
Far: you can see pretty much the whole stage at once, the camera is ideally on a tripod

But some people might be imagining “close” as a camera right up by the stage and zoomed in on the competitor so that sometimes even their face is cropped out. And “far” could mean the comptetitor being little more than a speck on the screen. :wink:

I like the close-up better BUT if the player moves around a lot it’s obviously very hard for the cameraman to keep the player in frame and that makes it seem less polished IMHO. Viewing the whole stage lets the home audience get a better idea of how a player moves around too, how well they use all of the stage especially in 4A and 5A.

I understand what you are saying. I was just wondering if I should keep making these videos close up like I have been or if people don’t like it and I should zoom out. As a photographer, I like to know what my audience thinks. :slight_smile:

I agree. As of now, I don’t use a tripod so holding the camera in my hands makes it shaky. Maybe if I get a tripod it won’t be so bad.

I prefer something “in between” the examples you posted. That, is the sweet spot. Neither extreme is right for me.

I’m on a streak of agreeing with TA today. :wink: The sweet spot is in between those. Also, it doesn’t hurt to have some sort of stabilizing technique and/or equipment. Nobody’s expecting a full steadicam, but you can get reasonable results with inexpensive stuff. For example, a collapsed tripod (legs can stay extended to whatever length makes sense for your situation) and then holding just under the ball head instead of on the camera grip… works surprisingly well!

like this?

Yup.

It honestly depends on how willing you are to film it. Like if you have no time in the day but have to film the freestyles the first one is better. But if you have time the second one is better but for myself I honestly don’t care on the angle.

I like all of them - depending on the player.

I wish the video for Janos at worlds last year was a bit more close up than it was.

but the Mickey Freestyle posted, I feel like would’ve been better if zoomed out to the angle Janos’ freestyle was at.

Andrew Maider’s NER was a little too close up for me… but all in all, his tricks are so technical, that I really appreciated the close-up.

so yeah… my final answer is:
It depends.

Multiple cameras for variety is the best answer.
:wink:

as long as it isn’t distracting, I’m happy with it.  Like if you switch angles for no reason, don’t.  But if it enhances the viewing, you should.

I think Janos should be close up, but personally I like the HS vid the way it is.

(Owen) #17

Backed up is the best IMO but I prefer in between if you dont miss anything because of how zoomed it is.

Looks like in between is winning cuz the people who voted backed up would rather have in between than close up and vice versa.

just please don’t anyone do this ever again, and we will be fine!

(Owen) #20

lol yah far away and close up in their extreme forms are bad but in the least extreme are fine.