confused

why do some aoda yoyos look really similar to some yyf?

That’s because:

1: Some designs are licensed to YYF
2: Some designs are “borrowed without permission” from YYF.

I would ask which yoyo first.

Because some aoda are YYF bootleg, and some are aoda original that rebranded by YYF.

Example of statement 1 is the aoda rainbow that is an 888 bootleg, and later rebranded by other company (I won’t continue to which company)

And example of statement 2 is the aoda miracle or rapid rotation, that YYF rebrand as super wide and the one.

Aoda has made many original design lately, and I see two company rebranding their yoyos.

But I’m afraid that this thread is to be deleted soon, because we can’t talk about company that making bootleg yoyos. Although I can’t see aoda as bootleg company anymore.

Aoda does make some great original yo yo’s.

Why are you calling the Aoda yoyos a bootleg but the Yoyofactory copies rebranded? Aren’t they both bootlegs or rebranded?

I can’t speak for specific models, but this is the difference:

Copying someone else’s design without permission is bootlegging, for lack of a better term.

Now, I have an Aoda Miracle because I wanted a low-cost metal very wide yoyo, both for usage and example/show purposes. I’ve heard two stories about this and I have no clue which is true. I’ve heard that Aoda made this design and YYF is either re-branding it or has obtained a license to reproduce it, or is having Aoda make it for them and tit is the YYF SuperWide. I’ve also heard rumors that the Miracle is a copy of the Superwide, and in that case would be a bootleg. I don’t know what the truth is.

In the case of a re-branding, Company A is making a yoyo, often an existing model in their own line. Company B comes along and would like to offer the same yoyo available under their name/brand. So, now Company A is making yoyos for Company B for Company B to sell under Company B’s name. There is permissions, money exchanging hands and nobody getting angry and there aren’t going to be any legal actions and ugly stuff like that going on.(Well, in theory, but at least there is a paper trail that keeps everyone in line).

Bootlegging can also occur in the above situation when Company A decides to exceed the run as they were contracted to do, then sell them on a grey market, either under Company C(often a shill company) or under Company A’s banner. An example I use are Disney trading pins, because the company making them typically do a 20% over-run(rather than a normal .2-2% over-run to cover flaws and defectives), delivering the contracted items as promised and then selling the rest via Ebay and other grey market channels. These are indistinguishable from the “Real thing” because they are made with the same dies, same enamels, colors and methods of construction. I can use this example because I like Disney trading pins and have done some research on this item, as well as researching other Disney fakes.

Fakes and bootlegs or not, Aoda and Audley DO make some original designs AND despite the prices that they sell their stuff at, from what I hear, the stuff is solid. They also make original designs that they do license for other companies. I’ve been told that my Aoda Miracle, Littles and Magic Pear Ball are all original designs. They also play fantastic.

There is a thread in the Reviews area that is talking about a specific bootleg of the YYJ Phenomizm. It’s a different brand.

A copy of a yoyo and then is in return re-branded is still a bootleg no matter how you slice it UNLESS permission to copy it was granted in the first place, AND that permission included allowing those copies to in turn be rebranded or re-licensed. That typically doesn’t happen due to legal reasons, as far as everything being nice and neat and on paper with agreements and signatures.

1 Like