Comparative review of the Sturm Panzer SY-003 Schneider

Comparative review of the Sturm Panzer SY-003 Schneider/YOYO Laboratory Elan Steampunk

Sturm Panzer SY-001 Stealth Ogre
Weight 68.7 g
Diameter 57.37 mm
Width 42.32 mm
H-Profile, C-bearing, IR-pads

Sturm Panzer SY-003 Schneider
Weight 69.1 g
Diameter 57.26 mm
Width 42.57 mm
V-profile, C-bearing, IR-pads

YOYO Laboratory Elan Steampunk (EOM Schneider proto)
Weight 66.9 g
Diameter 57.23 mm
Width 42.73 mm
V-profile, C-bearing, YYF-CBC slim pads

Some basics: I’ve been putting off this review, despite me having promised it, waiting on a second unit. Then the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Schneider came out, the Elan Steampunk and so instead of purchasing a second Schneider I bought one of these proto throws instead. And so my plan is to try and put together some comparative info on these throws, and compare to the first Sturm Panzer release the Stealth Ogre. In part this review will focus on addressing some of key components of previous Sturm Panzer reviews, both the pro’s (stability, spin time and so on) and the con’s (vibe, QA), but it will also address the key differences between the OEM and production versions of this throw, which I always find interesting. The reason for putting in the Stealth Ogre info " This yo-yo is based on the YoYoLaboratory’s Elan Prototype. based on the Stealth Ogre, but the materials used have given this yo-yo a completely new personality." - from the store website.

The pics and stats tell their own tales. All three of these throws are similar in concept. Mostly revolving around some big ole brass weight rings on the rims, accounting in the Schneider for nearly 60% of the total weight. Therefore without further ado:

Packaging and production: It’s all pretty nice honestly, each of these throws come in a clear plastic box, with the production versions coming with a brass polishing cloth and spare pads. Which is a nice touch. The OEM version didn’t have those two items, but it’s a bit cheaper too, and it’s a proto. Having said that, both the Schneider and it’s proto were not in the best of condition out of the box which was a little disappointing. On the production version the rims were pretty tarnished and the ano has a strange wash effect on it in the cups which you can see in the second pic above. Having paid a pretty exorbitant price for the throw those things are a little disappointing. The OEM I expected to be rougher around the edges so to speak, and indeed it was the brass rims and the one cup have a few little pinpricks. Both look cool in different ways; I probably prefer the coloring of the OEM version, but I do also like the central Schneider logo. Horses for courses at this stage.

On to the good stuff, the play: OK, so let’s start with confirming some suspicions, both these throws have some vibe. BUT neither have wobble, or anything like that kind of vibe that makes your fingers go numb, and interestingly the proto has less vibe. Whether this comes from just a difference in production between the two versions I don’t know, but I also don’t know where the weight change was made, and I know there were axle changes. Again if these effects added/removed vibe who knows. Once you get past this, which you surely should with any yoyo, the Schneider plays like an absolute fiend. The Stealth Ogre is a thing of pure yoyoing joy; stable, and absurdly long spinning, with weight enough to be precise but relaxed. It’s not a speed freak. And the Schneider is heavier. Oh boy.

But wait…it plays faster! (Don’t quite get it but it’s true) It maintains the SY-001 spin times and stability, maybe not as extreme in either case, but it gives a little bit more speed back and crazy precision, and with a more traditional V-shape it’s easier to play with in general. I don’t quite know how it does all these things, but I love it. Really I do, but then I loved the SY-001, and so for sure I’m biased. The OEM version plays just as well, and despite the fact that there are supposedly large changes in play between the proto and the production versions, I’m mostly at a loss to see them, except that the proto is a little speedier. I’ll happily play either. Also of note is that often V-shape throws like this have tilt issues that they don’t easily recover from, but I don’t notice these pronounced problems here, which is great.

Closing statements: Basically what all of this boils down to is that if you don’t/didn’t enjoy the Stealth Ogre then you probably won’t like this SY-003 because it’s basically an advanced version of the SY-001 with similar pros and cons, but with the added bonus of a bit of speed. If you are buying this, perhaps what you shouldn’t expect is something with a perfect finish. It doesn’t have that CLYW quality. But as a throw, using this actually, you know, as a yoyo, you can’t go wrong. I’ve heard a lot of positives about the Draupnir and so I’ll be interested to see how they stack up. This comparison should be a compliment to both yoyos.

Great review! Very thorough and informative. Thank you.

It is interesting to me how each Sturm Panzer release seems to have its own, distinct personality. It is almost becoming a family; with all the quirks and peculiarities that accompany most families. I find myself anticipating each subsequent release to see what character will emerge next.

Great review. Not sure how i missed this until now. Would also like to see one for the SY-002 vs SY-002 MKII when/if you get one? :slight_smile:

Exactly this. Like i said in my review of the SY-002 i find the Sturm Panzer/YOYO Laboratory releases to be some of the most innovative and interesting designs around these days. I’d much rather a company build a yoyo with a design pushing their engineering abilities even if it means some imperfections than what we see a lot here in the US which seems to be much more just variations on a theme in the last couple years.

I’m beginning to think the YYJ patent is about to become a real issue when people see the potential of a properly done bimetal. No offense to YYJ but the Draupnir and Sturm offerings are just lightyears ahead of what they’ve been able to create imo. I’d love to see One Drop able to use their engineering abilities to make a truly amazing bimetal(trimetal?!).

Also this was on their Twitter earlier this year. Wide, bimetal on the way? That could be fun!

Did the Steampunk come with the tiny yoyo called Pino? (a certain Japanese site stated the Steampunk comes with one) If so, how does it play?

Sir I dislike you forcing me to spend that sort of money on a yoyo :stuck_out_tongue: solid thanks for sharing and your discs will be ready soon! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the positive responses guys. Perfect time for this to get bumped too so I can add a little. Firstly I did not get a bonus yoyo with the steampunk. Next is that this idea of personality is what I love about sturm panzer. The company is so odd, and the throws so out there, but they’re just great. And I couldn’t agree more with the bi metal discussion. These really do push boundaries.

But now what I really came to add. I got a draupnir in the mail a few days ago. I said I would like to compare them. Well here is my view. They are completely different.

When I ordered the draupnir it was my intention to draw a direct comparison between the sturm panzer bi metal line and the draupnir, but it’s simply not possible because they are at different extremes of the yoyo spectrum. The draupnir is incredibly finely crafted, light, floaty, almost whimsical in it’s approach. It’s like throwing something silky around, and for what it’s worth it is superb. Definitely the pinnacle of yyr thus far, excluding the dazzler perhaps.

The Schneider is almost the reverse. It’s a brute. I mean it’s precise and superb but more forceful, always feelable and raw. Raw is probably the best description. The vibe adds to that feel. And of course it’s much weightier. I know other people have commented previously, but it really does spin longer than the draupnir. But that does not mean the draupnir lacks, it certainly does not, but this is extreme.

So which would I choose? I wouldn’t. I’d want both. Both are incredible in different ways. One thing in the back of my mind when I throw the draupnir though is that I can’t do it justice. The sturm panzer I throw down in anger, knowing I can get down and dirty with it, and it’ll just laugh in my face.

Thus ends the tale of an epee and an axe. Just depends which battle you’re fighting.

2 Likes

I have been saying this for months now. It appears that the only innovation that is being prevented by the patent is American innovation. Yoyorecreation is making and selling bi-metals regardless of the patent. OneDrop’s hand are tied until they cut a deal.

Ironic? …Idiotic?