Community CAD Yoyo - First Design Made!

Five more to overtake the Organic Fans!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the monometal fans will ever be beaten.

In a week or two I will end the polls and put up more specific ones. For example: Do you want a response bump? What are some things like this it would be good to vote on?

2 Likes

The chances of it being real one day are made more possible if itā€™s affordable to make so mono all the way

3 Likes

Itā€™s all tied up with the materials and the organic fans have lengthened their lead!

Any suggestions for more specific polls such as: Should it be rim weighted, or, Should there be a flat hub or an axle nub?

If there is a spike option I will choose the spike option

The material fans are all tied up! Need one more!

Will close the polls in ~2 days and put up new, more specific ones. Last chance to vote!

2 Likes

New more specific polls!

Weight:

• ~68 grams
  • ~67 grams
  • ~66 grams
  • ~65 grams
  • ~64 grams
  • ~63 grams
  • ~62 grams
  • Other(Comment)
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Hub:

• Flat Hub
  • Concave Hub
  • Flat with Axle Nub
  • Flat with Spike
  • Fingerspin Dimple
  • Other(Comment)
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Response Bump:

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Thumb Grind Lip:

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Extremely Rim Weighted:

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Size Bearing:

• Size D
  • Size C
  • Size A
  • Other(Comment)
0 voters

Schmoove Groove:

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Let me decide.
  • I donā€™t know what that is.
0 voters

Hubstacks:

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Outer Diameter to Inner Diameter:

• Angled
  • Perpendicular
  • I donā€™t understand.
  • Let me decide.
0 voters

Ex:
Perpendicular
Angled
Comment if you donā€™t understand.

I couldnā€™t add Hubstacks to the hub poll for some reason so if one outvotes the other I will choose that one.

Feel free to comment on anything to clarify or to tell me if I forgot something else to make a poll on.

3 Likes

Summary of previous poll results for easy reference:

Material: Monometal 7075 aluminium
Shape: Organic
Colour: Purple
Diameter: 54mm
Width: 44mm

4 Likes

Maybe a D vs C bearing option

3 Likes

This is a good idea although I would have to learn the specs and how to design for it.

1 Like

Hubstacks might be a cool option to add.

Itā€™s looking like a C-bearing Gnome Trooper with 7075 in place of '68 at the moment. Iā€™ve never tried one, but that looks like an awesome throw.

1 Like

Hubstacks added.

3 Likes

Can someone explain what a shmoove groove is? I know it is like a little indent near the bearing seat but I am not sure what the purpose is.

Also if you havenā€™t voted yet, feel free to do so!

3 Likes

Schmooves reduce friction and just look plain cool

2 Likes

This has been asked a bunch here. The idea is to reduce friction on a high/ medium wall YoYo. Some say it does something others claim it just looks cool. Either way I like the aesthetic

4 Likes

Schmooves reduce center weight and on a yoyo that came without them adding them looks kool and changes the center mass to rim weight ratio.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never used a yoyo with schmooves, but it seems like the idea is have a high-walled design/look with reduced friction.

Iā€™ve also seen a little discussion about whether the groove causes a change in air flow that affects the string during slack elements, but idk.

As far as reducing center weight, if that was the goal, it seems like the entire wall couldā€™ve just been made thinner rather than just a groove, but thatā€™s just me. Maybe schmooves give it a unique weight distribution & feel.

Here are examples of yoyos with response moats/schmooves for those interested:

1 Like

Here are some recent schmoove examples with YYEā€™s excellent product images to examine the various implementations: Search Results ā€“ YoYoExpert

2 Likes

New poll.