Community CAD Yoyo - First Design Made!

Not sure what you mean by bracket .

This is W shape.

2 Likes

Like that?

Yeah maybe, that might be more of an H shape. Thatā€™s kinda an H, W hybrid shape.

2 Likes

I mean like a playoff bracket. Iā€™m just thinking for the shape vote for example, that while organic has the highest percentage of votes, itā€™s still less than 50%, so itā€™s possible that if we factored secondary choices a different shape would end up being chosen.

1 Like

Good idea. I might do this again and try that. We will see if organic can pass 50%

1 Like

W is a hybrid of V and H.

That could be considered a W, though it leans more heavily toward the V side.

The One Drop Benchmark series might be a good reference (though their H is maybe not quite H enough). An artist I am not, but maybe this helps as well:

The lines do seem to get a bit blurred: what technically might be a W-shaped yoyo (according to my understanding) with thin rims at an angle only slightly flared/offset from the response bump and/or catch zone could easily be called a V. This is especially true with bimetals (e.g. no one would call the ZGRT Durendal a W); likewise, technical Ws with wider rims are frequently called H-shapes (e.g. Edge Beyond is truly a W, imo). The angle from the response bump to rim is a better indicator than the rim angle, from my understanding.

I would consider this a rounded W that leans more to the H end of the spectrum. It of course gets more grey with yoyos that are arenā€™t ā€œhardā€ __ shapes. Rounded Hs seem to be very popular (e.g. Shutter).

Anyways, sorry for the lecture. I just really like my Ws, as they seem to perform the best to my liking. They have the power and stability of Hs, with the speed and maneuverability of Vs (without the discomfort). Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Just a couple more people need to vote H-shape to overtake the Organic fans!

2 Likes

I voted H. But Iā€™m ok with an Organic as long as itā€™s not full on organicā€¦Like more Yoyofactory Kapital give it a bit of a response Bump please.

2 Likes

To be clear, this is just to design a yoyo in CAD, correct? Like, we arenā€™t actually going to have this yoyo machined, are we?

2 Likes

Yeah I think thatā€™s whatā€™s going on, It would be cool to have another community designed yo-yo actually made though

2 Likes

Weā€™ll see how it turns out. If itā€™s cool, and enough people are interested, we could possibly do a preorder to get proto production rolling.

2 Likes

That would be awesome, canā€™t wait to see how it turns out

2 Likes

If it is a tossup. Take the 2 most popular shapes and create a hybrid of them. An organic H hybrid is also very good!! :smiley:

1 Like

Just to be designed in CAD this wonā€™t be machined but I would for it to be machined. I have been trying to get my designs made for a while but I just donā€™t have the money for it.

1 Like

This would be awesome! I donā€™t know what would qualify a yoyo as cool enough though.

1 Like

If you get enough community buy in itā€™s always possible to get something going. No pressure or anything

2 Likes

Donā€™t mean to be the wet blanket but I would just point out that the amount of work, knowledge and responsibility needed to do some kind of limited, potentially crowd funded, run of yoyos is a lot more than just doing a fun mock-up CAD design and it can get quite messy if it goes wrong.

I think itā€™d probably keep things more fun for the community and put less pressure on AtomicChessGuy to just keep this as a community CAD for now rather than pushing for it to be something more at the moment.

5 Likes

I think I agree. Maybe later I can get one of these designs made through the community or somewhere else but for now I think this is just a fun little project.

3 Likes

I keep thinking there is a chance for the organic fans to be overtaken but they always pull back ahead.:laughing:

2 Likes