Collection

How have you built your collection? Do you build it by trying all different brands, only a specific brand, looking for a specific color way, whatever looks cool? How do you build your collection and why?

I used to just buy yoyos willy nilly and hoped I would like them. That worked up until I got a YYF 401k. I love YYF but haaaated the 401k. After that I did a lot of forum reading on what other people liked in their yoyo’s. I also started paying attention to the dimension and weight stats of yoyos. I generally like mine around 65 66 grams which to me seems like a pretty good medium and gaps that aren’t too narrow. That said I did love my good and evil 3 and that sucker had a REALLY thin gap. I am a fan of heavier throws so if something is too light say around the 62 gram mark or lower I’ll shy away from it until I can get a chance to throw that particular yoyo and see how it is.

I build mine in trying different brands and on the yoyos that just call my name that look cool to me.

Really can’t call mine a collection as much as an accumulation. I try yoyos and purchase ones that I like the way they play. I try to support new companies and favorite brands, but, I’m all over the place

If I’m in the mood to buy a yoyo, I’ll look at the shape first. If it appeals to me I’ll check the stats. If the stats are all in a range that I like I’ll look at the available colorways. Then, finally, I’ll look at the price and go play with a yoyo I already have! XD

2 Likes

I started by just buying what ever looked good and that I could afford. Lately, though, I have been collecting in two areas. I have a goal of having at least one of each major brand. Also, and this the biggest par of my collection, I am collecting vintage fixed axle yoyo’s with a specific concentration on Duncan Butterfly’s.

:smiley:

Pretty much built based on variety. If a yoyo SEEMED like it would be different than what I already owned, I was interested. If I turned out to be wrong and there was overlap, I would sell or trade one onwards. Then there are the yoyos that you just somehow end up with… extras in a trade or whatever…

But for the most part, built with variety in mind.

I like to have a big variety. Color ways aren’t really a factor in my choice for a yoyo. I like heavy yoyos, high 60s-70 something grams. I like extremes and non-normal models, for example I got a Duncan Magnetude because it has the magnetic hubstacks and counterweights,mighty flea because it’s so small, YYF Monster because it’s so wide, I want the Clyw Hx5Chief because it’s huge and the Werrd Two Fat Ladies 88 because it has two bearings

When I started collecting, it was a variety of flavor of the month yoyos. After a few months, I sold off most of what I didn’t want.

Currently, the focus of my collection is pre-2010 organic shaped throws. I love the old Playmaxx models, Hatricks, Peaks, etc. There are a few exceptions of course. I still pick up most new General-Yo, as they’re my favorite company. Most of what I can do can be accomplished on an old organic throw. Technique is key- as long as you can maintain stability, you’re fine.

They are so many new throws coming out every week, to the point where an unfocused collection quickly becomes a hoard.

Well, mine constantly evolves, and I think that’s just normal.

Step 1
I started out just trying to find something I liked playing. I was buying inexpensive stuff, playing responsive at first, and I was accumulating a lot of cheap yo-yos.

Step 2
I started looking at how pretty the unresponsive yo-yos were, and I started playing with and buying those too. So, I had the cheap responsive yo-yos and some cheap unresponsive yo-yos too.

Step 3
I was finally ready to spend nearly $100 on a yo-yo. I found something that looked great, that I thought I’d like by looking at the specs. Then, I did that a few more times until I had a small case of about 8 of them. They were my high ends, about $100 each.

Step 4
Then, I did steps 1-3 over and over, and eventually did not limit myself with prices. Then, I was willing to spend whatever the yo-yo cost, if I wanted it.

Step 5

Over time I began targeting certain themes while collecting, which include:

1. YoyoFactory stuff. I buy an awful lot of it, and enjoy their work.
  2. YoyoExpert Editions (colorways). I like the look of a colorway collection. It always impressed me, so I created one that spans all brands and represents something I support. I always wanted it to be massive. If YoyoFactory continues galaxy colorway, I will collect them all and grow them. I have a CLYW blizzard collection, but we’ll see if they release that color consistent enough for it to continue. That has potential to grow as well.
  3. Micros. I call them micro yo-yos, but any really tiny yo-yos, I like having those in my collection.
  4. Titaniums. I loosened up on having to have every single one of them, but I definitely like buying them. I think when the Dream was made, I became fully satisfied titanium-wise. I will still buy them consistently, but I doubt I’ll continue to hunt for every single one of them.

Collecting for me evolves. I like always being in control of what direction things are headed in. I can have a theme and suddenly switch and decide to do something different.

For the micros, what do you consider micro? Are there others on par with the YYF Mighty Flea?

No. Flea/Big Deal are the smallest. The micros are stuff like Tarasqus, Littles, 3 Points, Pixy. I don’t have specific specs that I’m looking for, it just has to be pretty small to qualify. The biggest thing in my micros case might be a PopStar/Token, something like that. If it’s bigger than that, I just consider it a regular undersized yo-yo.

Thanks! I’m looking for a smaller throws to add to my collection. There is something fun about pulling off tricks on a tiny yoyo:)