Coca cola yoyo

Hi

I am back to yoing after a 25 year break, as part of this I have purchased the ever elusive gold coca cola Russel spinner yo yo. However the one I purchased from eBay looks like the axle on it has been replaced. The one on it now looks like it’s just a piece of random wood shoved in. The yo-yo still goes up and down, however as the wood is not smooth it won’t sleep at all.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to replace the axle with something that will allow it to sleep?

Thanks for your help :metal:

2 Likes

Replacing the axle and having the yoyo perform smoothly is pretty difficult. I have some old Coke yoyos myself that need an axle replacement. I’m used to making yoyos and fitting axles, but even I’m not sure how I would go about it.

I have considered removing the plastic caps on the side and making a new body to fit them to. I think that would be kinda cool.

3 Likes

I’m guessing the axle is original, potentially damaged but original. The axle quality varies a lot across the production. It’s a hollow dowel with a metal rivet through it. The caps are sonic welded or glued in. Nothing is take apart. removing the caps it’s the first challenge. Then you would need to break the rivet without damaging the body, remove the original dowel, reproduce it, then try to put everything back together including re-reviting… lots of work, lots to go wrong.

Good luck!

3 Likes