Clyws very first bi-metal: the blizzard

I see what you did there ;D

if i had the money i would get one of these as soon as they are released

1 Like

http://imgur.com/kpDjRPU

:oooooo! I likey a lot!

Is good to see that I’m not alone I’m my opinion on bimetals. I think they feel our of balance too.

Looks good. I hope it’s light.

I think it is good to hear you are not alone also😁

That will give me two more chances to get one when they drop.

You must realize and recognize that ‘good’ bi-metal yoyo designs are not ‘out of balance’.

The weight distribution is optimized to achieve certain playing characteristics. The weight shift may give an odd sensation in feel during play. But the adjustment period is often very short. Once you play with an excellent bi-metal, single metal Yoyos will show the limitation in their construction. Bi-metals exhibit better Power. <That is not an opinion.

Bi-metals are not a Fad. Bi-metals represent the next level of Performance.

Trust me. I know ‘things’ lol

The future is here…

Still a bi-metal non believer? You need to throw the New Markus Koh Vertex. Sheer power.

4 Likes

I’ve seen splashed bi-metals before. Can’t they still Maiderade it? :-\ It would just be Maiderade with silver on the rims. Or, would that not be a “true” Maiderade? If you look at it that way, I guess not.

The bi-metal thing is not a huge selling point for me. But, that YYF Nightmare is amazing. Probably not because it’s bi-metal, but because it’s just fantastic. So, I don’t gravitate toward bi-metals or run from them either, I’m just looking for whatever looks and plays well. I’m certainly receptive to this new “Blizzard” model. And, I hope they will make one in the blizzard colorway, my favorite CLYW colorway next to YYE. I’m pretty certain that I’m buying this one. :wink:

1 Like

Yes I agree that they are very powerful. After performing long trick sequences they still come back hitting your hand like a brick.

However, I believe that once you’ve committed to a bimetal design you have invested in maximizing rim weight. Of course, that is the point, they have sheer power and laser guided precision in their movement as a result.

Although, this is somewhat to the detriment of a certain string presence and transmission of power during hopping, swinging and sliding trick elements as well as throwing and binding. It just takes more oomph to swing pop up and change direction with the concentration of weight mostly in the rims. That extra oomph needed can make it harder for me to hit various slack elements and make my way smoothly through tricks at a reasonable pace.

Yes- I just need a bit of adjustment and I’d probably be good to go. But should I really have to?.. Not sure.

I feel the limitations of single metal Yoyos and understand them, but the limitations are minimal. People have been killing competitions with single metal yoyos for years.

I believe there may be a small revisioning of the potential single metals hitting us recently… Designs coming out intentionally deviating from the extreme rim weight model, and tring to work aluminum to its potential such as the YYF Turntable, YYO Quash, YYF Dream Aluminum and the absolute pinnacle example… The Japan Technology FiReal.

My words fail to describe just how sublime that yoyo is…

I think it looks great! I bet it’s comfy. I don’t like bimetal with rims on the outside though (paranoid me hitting the ground could knock the rings and impart “wonkiness”). Most know where I stand on China so I can’t purchase any CL N E more N E wayz. But I think it looks super great and will play super great.

Glen, I hear you on bimetals. I do like them but I can understand why some people don’t dig the feel. And really, if you look at the performance gained VS the increase in money paid… Meh, they aren’t REALLY worth it… IMO. I agree they are the future (now) if your looking at maximizing certain yoyo attributes.

Different strokes. Blizzard looks like will be good.

It’s the same CLYW, but I agree that it’s been different since Chuck and Jensen left.

1 Like

I am guessing though that this yoyo will not be much cheaper even though it is being made overseas :-\

It’ll probably be a standard clyw price. Assuming 150

Just wanted to make something ‘clear’ about my thoughts on bi-metal yoyos.

My previous explanation about bi-metals might have led a few readers to believe I think anything else is now ‘no fun/not worth playing with’, etc.

Not at all. I love all types of yoyos. And no matter how enthusiastic I may sound about high performance yoyo designs, they take nothing away from the ‘fun-factor’ of just picking up a yoyo and ‘playing’.

Sometimes the limitations of certain yoyos are what helps make them exciting, challenging, simply fun.

Doing off string with a Freehand Zero… Getting together for a Fixed axle Challenge… Trying to loop with a butterfly yoyo, lol… Doing a Super long combo with a responsive yoyo… <>Infinity…

I have a Vertex and I Love it! It is a Corvette among yoyos.

When I got up this morning I threw for about an hour. A Vertex? Nope, lol

A YYF Replay Pro I got at Nats. The performance for the price is incredible. Mine even has a little vibe to it. Makes it feel like a little Hot Rod, haha.

I was doing a Figure 8 repeater. But I wanted to try different in/out sequences and see how long I could go before the spin tanked. < A personal challenge.

Doing figure 8’s with the Vertex isn’t any kinda challenge, lol. The 2 yoyos are just different kinds of fun. But the key element in the entire equation is ‘Fun’.

Step into the future of yoyo designs but keep one foot in the past. The contrasting performance levels of the past and present yoyos are one of the things that makes yoyo continue to be fresh, interesting and challenging.

When you see a guy with a Dazzler hanging from his belt and he is doing Spirit Bomb with a No Jive; it becomes clear as day.

Every yoyo ever made has a place in this Game…

No exceptions…

1 Like

For those of you who make yo-yos…

Is it impossible to anodize the rims the same color as the rest of the throw, and then affix them to the yo-yo, so the bi-metal yo-yo is all the same color? Or, are bi-metals usually left two-toned to accentuate the bi-metal aspect of the design? I wouldn’t mind it all the same color, and I might even prefer that. I wonder if anyone else has the same opinion. Thoughts?

yoyodoc, I’m right there with you. I’m reaching for my B-grade One Star more often than any of the bi-metal, CLYW’s, etc cause, for me anyway, it’s just more fun to throw.

Also anodizing stainless does not follow the same process as anodizing aluminum so while you can try to match colors, it most likely will be a bit off resulting in clashing colors. But then it might also be because the tolerances are probably super exact and any slight bit of anodizing could potentially cause issues.

i think its kind of like ano on a 7075, it could technically be feasable, but the steel would reject the dye

1 Like

Realize that even though stainless can be anodized, it does not even come close to being as effective in results. Ano on stainless is not very durable. And compound that by the fact that there are several different alloys of stainless that lend or reject the degree of coating effectiveness.

Ano’d Stainless is also not very durable at all. It is meant to be done more for stationary objects and not for ‘constant handling’, etc. so ano’d Stainless has to be coated using an additional process.

Etc…

Personally I think it is just more cost effective for the makers to just leave stainless; stainless. One of the reasons behind the original uses of the metallurgy. Stainless is high durability and low maintenance.

For most(not all, obviously) Stainless rings have: good visual impact, excellent durability, scuff repair friendly, etc.

To me, coating stainless is like chrome plating gold, lol.

But from a non performance view, I can understand that a color themed yoyo with no raw metal showing could have Excellent aesthetic value.

Especially to somebody as artistic as ‘Totalartist’.

2 Likes

The tempered rim Draupnir is the only model I’ve personally seen where they coloured the steel rims:

http://cs408124.vk.me/v408124174/2646/Lxj9ZjHlcEI.jpg

I think those rims on a similarly coloured throw would look pretty slick. :slight_smile:

I like the look of the Blizzard myself, just not in that photo… since I can’t stand orange yoyos, haha. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder exactly what colours they have planned for this… an ‘Every Berry Smoothie’ with those silver rims would look amazing.

2 Likes

Normally not an orange kinda guy, but this one works for me.