CLYW Gnarwhal vs SPYY Addiction

Don’t worry, even if it’s hard to remember sometimes, we’ve all had that “crippled by indecision” feeling. You’re not alone. :wink:

The Gnarwhal has decent spin times, but as a small yoyo they’re not monstrous. By the same token, it’s decently stable for its size, but it’s fairly easy to knock off-axis with misaligned strings. Now, this is a good thing if you’re skilled enough to use this to your advantage for correcting tilt in the middle of a combo; but it’s not necessarily a good thing if you’re looking for pure stability.

The Gnarwhal is a very fun throw. It’s the kind of yoyo that can easily become anyone’s favourite yoyo. However, it’s not going to be everyone’s favourite based on pure performance but due to the “fun factor”. It’s just a joy to play with.

If you want performance and spin times, sounds like the Addiction is still up your alley. :wink: The Punchline if you want those things plus some float and nimbleness. The Chief if you want those things and a “floaty” throw moreso than a “nimble” throw.

1 Like

Have you had any chance to try out the arctic circle? if so does it compare to the addiction? how does it play?

No, I haven’t played either of those. I mentioned that the Addiction “sounds” up your alley based on the information in this thread, but I have no direct experience with it.

The Arctic Circle is the CLYW I would buy for myself without having ever tried it. I’m just impulsive that way, and since I’ve never tried one, I would like to give it a go based on descriptions. But as for a real opinion that can inform your decision? I do not have anything worthwhile to say about the AC.

Thanks a ton for your help. I just want to learn as much as possible before I get such an expensive yoyo, my current throw is a grind machine, not liking it to much anymore, feels flimsy

I have a heavier 1st run Arctic circle and it definitely plays a bit on the heavy side. To me the Arctic Circle is a Juggernaut. It loves to keep on moving, but wouldn’t be my go to throw if I wanted to play fast.

The Addiction, to me, is a light weight at 65g, is super stable, solid, quick player. I love both, but like your original post neither of these 2 throws are floaty. When I think of a floaty SPYY yoyo I thing the original Punchline and the Solaris.

I don’t think i’ll be playing too fast for a few months, will the arctic circle be something the will keep spinning and be steady even after a few mistakes?

Yes but if you misalign strings too much the narrower, higher walled gap will kill the spin times. It does build up skill real quick though, and you get used to it.

So me being not too fast yet, the Arctic circle could be a good candidate?

I think you’d like the arctic circle. For the price you’re paying, you’ll more than likely be satisfied

Thanks, yeah spending so much i’d hope for it to be good.

It’s a fantastic yoyo. I have the heavier version and my friend has the lighter version and I prefer the heavier for that extra solid feeling. Glad we could all help you.

Thank you everybody for all your help, I think I’ve mad up my mind.

The Chief is a monster. It has the stability and spins of a YYR, yet is considerabely cheaper. It is no speed demon but can be pushed to go pretty fast, but is best at a medium pace. It hits the sweet spot between floaty and solid.

The Arctic Circle is a different beast altogether. While it can be unforgiving both on the string (it is stable enough, but is nothing Iike the Chief) and on a bad throw, it is far faster than the Chief. It is super nimble, it will go where you want it to when you want it to. When I tried it, it was what I hoped the Puffin would be.

1 Like