CLYW Bearings. Are new ones better?

Does anyone know what kind of bearings CLYW is using these days?

It seems that once they moved to the Snow Tires - the bearings got much better also. The ones on my BvM and Chief are amazing. Do they have a new source? A new treatment? I read something about OneDrop doing the manufacture on some new models - is CLYW also using 10-Balls?

I think my first sasquatch had a bearing that said YYF engraved on the side so a yoyofactory spec bearing but not sure about nowadays.

I’ve bought all my CLYW’s via BST. Serveral had YYF bearings in there. I’ve been replacing them with Terrapin X Bearings, mostly since the YYF bearings weren’t performing very good in my opinion. I think the sellers just put in a bearing they didn’t care for before shipping it out. I’m not worried, I don’t mind spending on Terrapin X bearings anyways.

Anyhow, no clue as I don’t have any new CLYW’s. I would be positive they’d want good bearings in their stuff.

(Edmeister) #4

Yes and No.
I’ve tried both the new bearing and the old ones.
They play somewhat the Same
Just the new one isnt Engraved.
I usually dont like CLYW Bearings No offense but the second I buy a throw from Chris/CLYW Store/BST I put in a KK if it isnt in it .

AFAIK, CLYW bearings have never been engraved. They are just regular 8 ball bearings.

I’ve never seen a stock CLYW come with a YYF bearing. Unless it was BST and the bearing was switched.

Not a fan of the CLYW bearings in the least. I mean, they are ok. But when I can put a 10-ball or a Terrapin, why wouldn’t I?

I would normally agree. I have a spare pack of 10-balls around for just such surgery when a new throw comes in. That is the point of my post; I have Terrapin ceramics and General-Yo AIGR ready to go into these new CLYW’s - but the bearings in my BvM and my Chief are really nice. So much so that I do not need to replace them. That is what I find remarkable. Normally the CLYW bearings are marginal at best.

(laxdude99) #8

I find that most CLYW bearings turn responsive after a few hours of play and then i lube them but they take a tremendous amount of time to break in

My approach to playing any yoyo is:

1. Get yoyo
  2. Have bearing
  3. Go hard

Never really got what the big fuss about different bearings is, as long as it’s not KK, I don’t even give it a second thought.