Classic- Duncan 50ʼs Tournament Yo Yo -- Mod

Hello,

I am new to the forum, not so much to Yo Yoʼs. My father got me started 35+ years ago with a wooden yo yo and shown me how to walk the dog. From there I kept on going back to the Yo Yo every time I wanted to try something new I saw on TV.

I recently tried one with bearings and man like a lightening bolt with that snap my dad taught me. However, I donʼt really like the way the new Yo Yoʼs are shaped. I would love to be able to have a classic wooden Duncan tournament Yo Yo from the 50s kind of style and mod it out to my specs. like adding bearings to it. I donʼt plan to compete or anything, just looking to have fun.

Any helpful suggestions for me to make this happen?

6 Likes

Check out the Yoyofactory Legend. It has that classic imperial shape, it’s wooden, it’s readily available, and it’s very affordable. Should be perfect for mods, even though it’s not a take apart design.

1 Like

Yes, I thought of using one of these. It is a fixed axle, right? Any tutorials on how to mod these to make them rock some serious speeds?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a fixie. There are a couple of tutorials on Youtube on how to make wood yoyos with bearings. Maybe you can get some ideas from those.
Perhaps some of the very skilled yoyo makers around here can help as well.

I been watching some of the YouTube videos however nothing on modding wooden classic style yo yo yet. However I am probably not searching for the right thing. If any of the Yo Yo makers on here have input on the subject I would be very grateful. I have some experience carving wood for NW Coast Style Tlingit art of my tribe. I would love to try my hand at making a custom yo yo with some of the non porous wood around my village. The bearings thing is a mystery to me so far on where to begin.

I really like the feel of the classic imperial shape yo-yos, I owned a few Duncan Butterfly Yo-Yos over the years, they were alright. I am not sure if it is the nostalgia or the feel, either way the imperial style is definitely my favorite.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe a kit like this and make the bolt hidden such as the 3D printed yo yoʼs do.

Chevk out tom khun yoyos or art makes some cool wooden yoyos with bearings. As well as spinworthy. Chevk out this thread as well Show some wooden yoyos you've made

2 Likes

Thank You for the tips. Looks like others may had the same interest as I. Sooold Out :grin:

I think I found the right one for arts however, I can not be sure. Nice looking wooden models.

1 Like

Peon, orphan, squib, and big boi if im not mistaken. All fun throws

1 Like

If you’re looking for classic wooden yoyos with bearings, check out Tom Kuhn.

3 Likes

You can still find NOS classic Duncan Jeweled Tournament (reissue) on the big auction site at reasonable prices. Duncan made quite a run of them back around 2000 or so.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone :grin: Pocket Rockets and No Jive :laughing::dotted_line_face::dotted_line_face: What a character. :grin:

2 Likes

There is one more of these left. The most precision in an Imperial shape you can buy.

1 Like

This is beautiful and amazing, would be a dream. I am so tempted to buy it and technically I could. Unfortunately, I have a few dependents right now that I would probably feel bad every time I used my 385.00 yo yo. However, what a beautiful and spectacular Yo Yo. What a dream.

3 Likes

So you want a modest comfortable throw? The Confusion is a good choice if you just want one. Once you start hunting for TK Sleep Machines, No Jives and Silver Bullets, you are getting into collector territory and that is more auction site hunting. There are more “Modern Responsive” options but they also will cost you more money.

3 Likes

Duncan sells an upgrade kit for the freehand that would probably work pretty well for modifying a wood throw.

2 Likes

E Mijo is the closest thing I can think of to this

3 Likes

I really like this one! Maybe, I need to get with the times. I know I was never planning to do the whole DNA trick, but maybe if I bend a little bit I could try to do that trick with this yo-yo? :thinking:

That dreamboat 385.00 dollar yo yo is astonishing. Yet that my cause havoc on helping my father with his alzheimers care cost, I think I will give the Mi Jo ( My son :thinking:) a whirl. no pun intended. lol hmm Dad got me started, it almost makes complete sense here to give the MiJo a try.

My son it is, thank you.

You don’t have to spend that much on a yoyo. Check the BST. Classic imperial shapes are available from time to time.

2 Likes

They had Duncan yoyos in the same bin as the bargain Butterflies at Target yesterday. Both were $3 each. They had quite a few. I bought one of each.