Chronichles of a Fixed Axle Journey

Check the last post for an update on my progress!

Hey guys! Cash here! It’s Fixed axle February, and I have decided to log the journey I’m going to embark on! I recently recieved a Broke Village Fidalgo from AaronW, and must say it’s intriguing me. I will be only using this fidalgo for a bit until I can get a no jive or two! So, without further ado, let’s get into day one of a 30-60 day Fixed axle learning curve!

Day one-Package recieved from the good man! Upon reception I opened it, inspected it, and hung the cotton Mr. Warren gave me. Then, picked it up, strung t, and… well, things didn’t go so well. So, today, I’m going to focus on the yoyo. It’s time i learn it inside and out.

I’ve learned a few things already. The first, is that fixed axle yoyos are much better enjoyed on much more relaxed throws. Not slamming it to the end of the strong like a good ball bearing yoyo, but to slow down and relax!!

After throwing heavily all day, i decided to try to do a few stalls. Well… ouch. I may have bruises a few bones, but if anything I have even more respect for Rd Haponik, and any other even moderately adept fixed axle player!! See y’all on day two!!

Have fun with it Cameron. I like what Ed has said in the past, “If you get frustrated with fixed axle, then you are doing it right.” (or something like that).

Check these out too, these have been a big help to me: http://yoyonews.com/category/fixed-friday/

Alright! So, day 2!!

Yesterday was long and hard, but I know what Aaron said was true, this is so frustrating! It’s seems like you have the concept of the stall one second, then, he next second its gone! I started to get a little bit of consistency though, so, I’m going to keep dpingnthe same thing into day three, well see how consistent I can get!! Thanks for reading!!

Keep playing. Keep pushing. (But don’t force it.)
To get stalls more consistent switch between trying to land Breakaways and Forward Passes, and throw LIGHTLY.

Above all have fun and go at your pace. :slight_smile:

The fixed axle jedi master has spoken. Seriously, the advice Ed gave was key to helping me with stalls. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still bruised and inconsistent, but, I see improvement and relish in the accomplishments. Also, I give you huge props for learning on a metal fixed axle!

Hope you enjoy the journey!

Day 4!!

Thanks guys!! Ed, i am amazed at the difference your advice has Made! The alternation is improving my consistency massively, and guys, it’s gettig better. If anyone is starting a fixed axle journey TAKE ED AND AARON’S ADVICE. They obviously know what their talking about, and it’s already helping me!! Day 3… it’s going allot better, and I’m not looking forward to day 60 anymore!! See you guys tommorow! Day 4, will be trying the Brother stall!!

1 Like

Day 5.
So, brother stall, this one came easier, but, i fear I bruised part of the none of my right thumb after I got a snag. This may set me back, well see how long it lasts, but today is gonna be an easy day again, to keep working on stalls in all directions, see y’all tommorow, hopefully with good news.

Day 6; today, was Makin da Zines a drew tetz trick. Its going to take some smothing outm allot of smoothing out. But, tgats something that works well on fixie, you can smooth it out with allot of practice

Day 7: alright. Taking wood to the face is not fun. But I’m the bright side I made we zines :wink: haha time to keep working with the No Jive.

Cool you found a No Jive. Keep having fun, that’s the most important part.

Day 8: so shoot the moon… tried it. Ouch. Lots of it. My fingers are burned, and I’ve got myself allot. If anyone is reading this, also make sure you have a wide open space with a high roof. It your yoyo will inadvertently get stuck in the roof. Day 9 will be uneventful, gotta re stucko and popcorn the ceiling.

Shoot the moon is one of those tricks I still have trouble with sometimes - really fun once you get it though! Try practicing it sitting down if you have low ceilings.

Sounds like you are progressing well. I still, after a very long time, am unable to constantly throw a stall.

I’ve tried it sitting and that seems to add to the difficulty for me. I need to be able to move around a bit to get it. Been practicing for years and still not consistent at it.

Usually in my desk chair so I can lean back, seems to work alright.

I thought the ceilings at YoYo Expert were pretty high :grimacing:

Shoot the Moon is one of those tricks (I think) you’ve just got to learn. It’s SO satisfying and has this carefree feeling to it, fits so nice into a fixed axle combo, enables the fantastic Lunar Landing trick, and it DOES get easier - though I still can’t do 2-hand Moons consistently!

I actually learned it in the stairwell of the place I used to live. I think it’s better to learn it standing, because you can correct more with your body and legs. As you get good, it’s like only your finger moves. Bill deB can do it, and I swear he’s not moving a muscle. He could probably do it with his arm resting still on a table.

Definitely a trick that separates the wheat from the chaff in terms of “classic yo-yoing”, but you know what - whether you’re one or the other, you’re still just having fun with a yo-yo!

3 Likes

I have been sitting while throwing for a long time now. My knees are bad and I can not stand for more than a few minutes so I sit, I throw.

Day 9! The roof is fixed :smiley: thanks hardware store!! I’m the subject of yoyos, minus a few attempts on shoot th moon(thanks to all for your advice! I’m glad some conversation is getting started) I started a “new” concept. Idk if it’s been done, but I’m day 10, check my instagram @punchaburrito, and you won’t be disappointed… hopefully! Maybe day 11, depends on how long it takes me to make it clean!! Thanks guys!!