Christmas for my boyfriend

How much money do you want to spend? While yes, a Code 2 will blow his mind, it is as mentioned earlier $100. It’s a large investment for someone just getting into the hobby. For someone that has been yoyoing for about a month and using a YYF One, you will equally blow his mind with a Yoyofactory Protostar for $35 or a Yoyojam Trigger for $30. Alongside those throws is the Yoyojam Dark Magic II starting at around $45 and designed by the owner of this website, Andre Boulay.

Don’t get me wrong, if you have the funds and ability to spend $100 on your boyfriend for Christmas you’re a very sweet girlfriend and a Code 2 will be an amazing gift; however, you can always give an amazing yoyo gift at less than half the price of a Code 2. If he sticks with the hobby/sport he’ll eventually want a high end metal, but he doesn’t necessarily need it now if he’s been throwing for a month.

(Short aside that is unrelated to what throw to buy)

Once upon a time my mother gave me a Yomega Fireball and a Smothers Brothers videotape. I looped with two Fireballs for 10 years. Around four years ago a girlfriend then gave me a Yomega Maverick for Christmas and I started getting heavy into string tricks (well as heavy as a Maverick lets you). When they came out a few years back, my game had upgraded signifcantly and that same girlfriend gave me a Phenom. Point being, were it not for the women in my life who knows if I’d be the thrower I am today. You’re very sweet and awesome to be buying your guy any yoyo at all. I hope he returns the favor with an equally as sweet Christmas gift.

Budgets are always good to work with. It helps people from over-spending, which can cause them other issues down the line.

With so many great yoyos, there’s something amazing at almost any price point.

A couple? Like 8 or so of them for each of us, right?

Yes Banjo, we would like gift certificates totaling about $450 each so we can pick out the titanium of our choice. That’s the beauty of the gift certificate. Waylon may want Ti5, but I may want Oxy Ti. ;D

Looks like the OP has not been back in here since posting :-\

Awww…bad news. I went to the bank this morning and they refused my request of a loan so I could get my friends the gift certificates for $450 yoyos. They thought I was making the whole thing up, said that no one would need a yoyo made out of titanium. On the way out someone said something about Walgreens having yoyos for $4. They just don’t understand. Sorry. I have a couple of Bumblebees I could let you have.

You’re right about the OP’s absence Totalartist. :frowning:

I still like the Code 2 for her boyfriend if that’s doable.

We didn’t find out what the budget was. But I don’t think $100 is a nutty amount assuming they’re young adults or older. I never had so much disposable income as when I was a teenager. :wink:

I won’t bore everyone with the whole diatribe, but I do NOT believe in the “spend only a little when you’re a beginner” mentality. If they have the cash and he seems interested in the hobby NOW (who knows what 2 months will bring?) there’s nothing wrong with fueling that passion with quality gear. Quality gear will ALWAYS help someone learn. Which isn’t to say the Protostar or something even cheaper wouldn’t also work fine (it would), but the fellow in question has already mentioned One Drop… if the budget’s there, why not blow his mind with one of their upper-quality throws?

Besides, doesn’t he already have a Whip? He’s been working at it with the “low cost” option already. Get the man a beautiful throw already (again, assuming it’s within budget)!

I’d say get him a Code 2. Cause it’s very hard not to like!

Thanks for all the input, we’ve lived together for a few years, so 100$ on a nice x-mas present isn’t too far out of the budget. Both being working adults and what-not :smiley:

Thanks for trying, Banjo.

If things don’t work out between you and your boyfriend, there are a few guys on here who would marry you on the spot :slight_smile:

I think that would be agreeable some guys on here will do anything for yoyos!

That changes things a bit.

I’d still see if you can extract a bit more information out of him and see what he might be thinking about.

One Drop makes so many great yoyos. I think from the Burnside and up in price you really can’t go wrong. Just keep in mind that each yoyo has a different play personality. I think in general, the best bets would be a Burnside, or a Code 1 or Code 2. I think the Code 2 is a bit of a better way to go. I can’t say anything negative about the Cascade, but the way it performs, it’s more of an acquired taste if if doesn’t click right away. I have a bit of a problem on this yoyo, but that’s me, and I’m not giving mine up. I like and need variety.

The cascade is actually the only OD I enjoyed since it’s shape feels a lot more organic than the rest but that’s all personal preference.

Haha. Well I do appreciate you trying anyway. :smiley: Glad the OP found all the suggestions helpful. Looks like that Code 2 might make it under the tree several weeks from now. He will be excited to see that for sure.

Code2 would be perfect for him i bet. also, buy him some 100 count yoyo string!