Cheapest Metal Throw In The World? Ja-Ru Metal Tech Spin Pro Yo-Yo

If you’ve ever checked out the page for the Duncan Metal Drifter here on YoYoExpert, you may have noticed this small statement:

http://i.imgur.com/ecjJaUa.png

Well, $24.99 for a metal Yo-Yo is indeed an excellent price, and the Drifter also happens to be an excellent return top. But is it really “the cheapest aluminum Yo-Yo currently available”?

While looking around a local store called “Five Below”, a small retailer that carries dollar-store type items, I spotted a Yo-Yo I’d never seen before; The Ja-Ru Metal Tech Spin Pro Yo-Yo.

http://i.imgur.com/tyanwdN.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the price tag.

“$1.00”

Wowee, a metal Yo-Yo for only 1/25th the price of a Metal Drifter? What a steal! I grabbed a couple of them, dropped a few George Washingtons at the register and headed home. On the way, I actually took a moment to look at the back of the package, where a well-dressed Chunk from “The Goonies” teaches us how to cut the string and tie a slip knot.

http://i.imgur.com/8TcKe1p.jpg

By the time we reach the bottom of the package, Chunk appears to assume we already know how to perform such classic tricks as “Sleepin’ Yo-Yo” and “Round-the-World”. Note how the names of these tricks have been slightly altered — these small tweaks make the tricks just hip enough for today’s youth.

When I got home, I took one of these things out of the package and examined it. It only weighs 37 grams, so I’d say this one qualifies as “lightweight”. The outer diameter is average, like a Duncan Imperial. The Spin Pro also features a nice Butterfly shape, though the actual width isn’t particularly impressive. I expect more from my one dollar Yo-Yos.

http://i.imgur.com/lrpM0DI.jpg

Before giving it a throw, I disassembled the Yo-Yo to examine the guts. The “Spin Pro” consists of two metal halves, a nut and bolt axle assembly, two plastic spacers, and a bearing.

http://i.imgur.com/wqa2L8I.jpg

The halves do not appear to be machined, I believe they are pieces of cast metal. Both of them have a recessed area for the plastic spacers, which feature starburst response grooves. The bearing is the cheapest I have ever seen. It almost looks like a size C, but it’s actually slightly larger and a bit slimmer. It has no C-clips or shields, but it does have a blue plastic bearing crown inside and seven balls. Sounds promising. Let’s reassemble this thing and try it out.

http://i.imgur.com/t2e4X9G.jpg

The included super-cheap cotton string was a bit too short, so I slipped on some yellow poly and gave it a throw.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Alright. This is the loudest Yo-Yo I have ever heard. Chunk’s 7-ball bearing must be completely dry. As it starts to slow down, I give it a tug to try to return it to my hand, but it remains at the end of it’s leash.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…

It runs out of spin as a stare at it, dumbfounded. Did I really just buy an unresponsive metal Yo-Yo for a dollar? This must be my lucky day!

After a bit more testing, I reached the following conclusion:

This is, without a doubt, the cheapest feeling ball bearing Yo-Yo I have ever used… and technically, it is. It has some vibe, but I almost feel like that doesn’t even need to be said. It can barely cope with the “Intermediate” tricks listed here on YoYoExpert, and anything beyond those usually results in the Spin Pro either falling off the string, or just running out of spin completely.

Binds are necessary to bring it back, though they tend to be inconsistent and they sometimes knot up, likely due to the state-of-the-art plastic response system. A bit of thick lube in the bearing would probably get this Yo-Yo tug-responsive, but I don’t have any on hand to test with. Still, for just a dollar, the Spin Pro is really something. I can technically do tricks on this that may not even be possible on a Duncan Imperial, and those usually cost around four times as much.

Interestingly, a quick Google search on this Yo-Yo brings up an Amazon page where you can buy these directly from Ja-Ru for 8$ a piece… not for a buck. How the ones I found were being offered for so little, I’m really not sure. Now, there are other cheap metal Yo-Yos on the market. The Razor Pocket Pros Zombie (20$) and the Toysmith Hyperspin (10$) are both good examples. However, I’d personally recommend steering clear of these if you’re a beginner looking to get into metal Yo-Yos. There are cheap plastic models from the major Yo-Yo brands that will put them both to shame, and models like the Duncan Metal Drifter are worth the little extra cash.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go Rock-the-cradle with my Spin Pro.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

2 Likes

Yoyofficer Pause -$25 .

Cheapest and best

1 Like

You’re a little late to the “dollar store” yoyo craze. :slight_smile:

Yes, they are terrible.

1 Like

I dunno man, according to YYE it’s 26$, and that sounds a little pricey…
Joking aside, I’ve never heard of that one. I may pick one up next time I’m placing an order for something on here, it looks pretty sweet.

Well, I’ve been off these forums almost completely for years. What did I miss ???

Interesting post. This yoyo gets a more in-depth run through than it probably deserves.

An entire joke community with people modding them. Hubstacks, SPR, weight rings and more.

Yoyofficer has some great low priced metals though.

1 Like

They are worth every penny, though.

I hoped this post would at least be somewhat amusing for that very reason.

Ah, man. I wish I’d been around to see that. And I’m definitely going to pick up something from Yoyofficer next time I have to place an order for strings or something, I’m always interested in trying out cheap metal throws.

I found these same yoyo’s on ebay for a little bit more. I placed orders from two different sellers who included free shipping form China. They are cheep and loud with a short sleep time. Not much of a throw but I enjoyed inspecting then and taking them apart and trying to do some simple tricks with them. I got three bucks worth of fun from them.

The magic yoyos are even better. You can get the t5 for like $5. :smiley:

1 Like

Never thought I’d read such an in-depth review for a dollar-store yoyo, haha. ;D

A very entertaining read indeed, I chuckled several times. Good job sir.

1 Like

magic yoyo(any metal model) around $15

1 Like

Unless they have changed something both of those yoyos are not aluminum, they are made of steel.

I’ve seen variations of these at my local Dollar Tree. The ones I saw had an H-shape but pretty much had the same guts. While it was tempting, I opted not to bother.

The tin metal reminds me of a tin can, especially with the folded over lip…would not attempt a thumb grind with this as it looks like it could be a nice finger slice! (We know how cheap items and quality control get along).

Off topic somewhat: My first ever full-sized yoyo was a Ja-Ru imperial-shaped yoyo. The string was wedged between the axle and the yoyo half, rendering it impossible to sleep. 2 days later I was a the mall and spent the money on a real Duncan Imperial where I learned in minutes how to actually throw and make it sleep. This was back in 1996.

Were r u from cause there is a five and below store in Birmingham alabama

I am currently living in Texas.

Ok u got hopes up for a second :wink: