Ceramic Questions

Just wondering, but would you use a full ceramic bearing? why or why not? thanks

Nope, I haven’t heard much good about them and the idea of a bearing being $30 is pretty ridiculous.

2 Likes

thanks.

yo have the normal yoers,
then you have the konkave freaks

Oh, but if you get five seconds extra spin time… four dollars per extra second isn’t to bad…
sarcasm

Not too much in terms of yo-yo play.

-It might spin a bit longer, but the throw plays a huge role in spin time; it may not matter.
-The bearing will last forever dry (pretty much).
-Bragging rights.
-You could totally play with your yo-yo in a volcano (granted that the yo-yo itself does not melt…and you survive).

The actual reasoning behind ceramic bearings is that they weight much less and therefore exert less force on the individual balls and the bearing race, and thus decreasing wear and improving RPM.

Realistically in yo-yos, the change is too small to notice. You will have a bearing, though, that lasts long, and may quite possibly be smoother.

However, ceramic bearings cost so much in comparison that it is almost always more prudent to get a normal steel bearing; there are many that play exceptionally well, and they also last many years if treated with some TLC (after playing the heck out of them).

If anything, get one ceramic to try it out and see if you notice a difference. If you like it, awesome, if you see that it does not help, then you bought only one, damage done is not so bad (except if you bought a full ceramic bearing; I would avoid those, they cannot take much of the beating that yo-yoing elicits). The biggest obstacle with these little buggers is the price: Konkave ceramics are $30 and full ceramics are $70 upwards.

1 Like

they sound like a nice way to just upgrade your yoyo in general and so im wondering… were can i get one ?