Ceramic bearings?

So thinking about trying out a ceramic bearing but its unclear about maintenance of ceramic bearings. Some questions

1. How do you clean a ceramic bearing
    2.do you lube ceramic bearings
    Thats really all i got but hopefully someone can answeR these questions for me😆
1 Like
  1. Just use what you normally use to clean metal bearings for ceramic bearings, they work just as well. Acetone, mineral spirits, 99% isopropyl alcohol and various other solvents work well with ceramic bearings.

2. Usually, ceramic bearings are meant to be run dry, but you can definitely lube them if you want to. Dry lube like the yoyofactory dark matter lube works very well if you know how to use it.

Keep in mind that ceramic bearings are more brittle than metal bearings so you might not want to drop it or ding your yoyos too often. A hybrid ceramic bearing like the Monkey Finger Tasmanian Tornado would resolve this issue while still retaining the performance of the ceramic bearing.

2 Likes
  1. Alcohol or acetone. Pretty much the same way you’d clean a regular bearing.

3 Likes

from the YYE store, Sochi bearing page.

kgb

I just substituted soap and water in place of the usual lighter fluid I normally use for my cleaning process for regular bearings and it worked great for me :man_shrugging:t5:

and i kinda stopped using lube on any bearings a while ago, partly because I can’t find the diabetic syringe I filled with lube lol and partly because I was tired of going through the semi responsive phase before the lube would “set” :sweat_smile: I used to blast em with cans of air and that would fast track that process but I was going through air cans pretty quickly when I would end up cleaning all of my dirty bearings at once (4-8 bearings)

3 Likes