Cleaning my bearing

My YYF Civility’s bearing started acting up and I think I have to clean it. I just need to know if the Ceramic bearing requires extra care to clean when compared to regular bearings, also if they are more delicate should I attempt to replace the shields?

1 Like

Welcome to the forums! What does “acting up” mean? Did you try a drop of lube?

Ceramics have no special requirements.

the only attention, if we are talking about full-ceramic, must be reserved to the cage that holds the spheres, it is made of rubbery polymer, so it can be attacked and degenerated by more or less strong solvents.
If, on the other hand, you have a metal bearing with ceramic balls, you can clean it with the methods of a normal bearing.

That is exactly what I have, sorry for being vague.

As for acting up, I noticed that it was A) REALLY gunky, I rubbed the bearing on a piece of paper and brown stuff rubbed off :sweat_smile: B) it started making a hollow noise as it spun that lube did not fix.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is a how-to-guide in the forum sticky that shows you how to clean the bearings thats pretty useful, it applies to all types of bearings. If its really gunky (which sounds like yours is getting there!) I used to just let it sit in the cleaning solution overnight.

3 Likes

Thank you, I was not aware.

1 Like