Can't open yoyo without damage

I recently bought this yoyo which came with a few others in a bundle. It needs new response but I can tell the yoyo is damaged. When I try to unscrew the yoyo I get major resistance. I know if I unscrew the whole thing it’s gonna get screwed up. But it needs a new response!

Anyone have any experience on how to save a yoyo in this state or tips that will minimize damage.

What to do if the threads get completely damaged upon unscrewing?

From what I find online its a- 7068

2 Likes

2 Likes

drop a lil edit: a teensy bit of oil in there

4 Likes

Ok I will try that, thank you

Maybe oil and putting it inside a washcloth and putting it in the freezer for half an hour will help. I’ve used the freezer method with success. It may loosen things up and allow you to unscrew with little or no damage.

5 Likes

Thats a good idea, thank you! I will try that

Both are replaceable as well. The whole thing. You can buy a new axle at ace hardware.

I’m not worried about the axel, I’m worried about messing the threads on the yoyo

3 Likes

My bad haha i read this totally ripped.

2 Likes

Haha for sure. Yea really trying to salvage this super cool yoyo

If the threads are ruined, you might be able to tap them out to the next larger size and get an axle to match, or heli-coil the threads if they make heli-coils that small.

EDIT: Looks like you can get m4x.7 heli-coils, but the price for the required tools is pretty steep: McMaster-Carr

Ivan

2 Likes

Here is the main problem with your suggestion>

To tap a yo-yo up a size or drill and tap for a heli coil, you need a machine precise enough to give you a ‘true center’.

Or…… you just use a vise and a drill and are either super lucky/and/or/pray for a Christmas miracle.

Suggestions are easy. Actually attempting the work without the proper equipment is another story.

There are a few guys on this forum that do that retap or ‘cool’ yo-yo halves. Not currently sure who they are at the moment🤔

8 Likes

I have a delta wood lathe that could work but will still be difficult

Ok, I have a question for you.

How smooth was the yo-yo before you tried to unscrew it? Or after slightly attempting to unscrew it, how smooth is it now?

The reason I’m asking is simple. More often than not, when an axle has cross threaded into the yo-yo half, it seldom draws in enough to pull up square to the bearing sides…… so> the yo-yo ‘should’ already be sorta vibey :thinking:

But originally you mentioned you only needed to change out the response. You never mentioned the yo-yo ‘played funny’?

So, how does it play?

2 Likes

This is probably the worst suggestion and should only be used as the last resort…

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you need two of them?

The OP never said he was too weak to unscrew the yo-yo.

He said he feels a lot of resistance when he ‘tries’ to unscrew the yo-yo.

So, he is hesitant to continue attempting to unscrew the yo-yo for fear of causing more damage.

For example, ‘you’ could glue your feet to the floor and get a larger version of that tool and try unscrewing your own head to see how well the tool works.

But maybe oil your neck and put your head in the freezer for half an hour first.:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Yes you are correct, I don’t want to damage the aluminum threads as I can feel resistance and know they are already damaged or will become damaged

The yoyo plays good maybe some nail vibe but nothing i can feel while throwing. It just doesn’t want to bind even with thick string. The yoyo has to be spinning fast with a hard bind like a front style bind (I don’t know names) and even then it does the yoyo equivalent of “drifting”. Like I can feel the bind caught but still spinning through the bind with a delay on retracting

I lubed the ■■■■ out of it and stuck it in the freezer. Resistance was lighter! So I felt comfortable enough to unscrew. It totally worked! Thanks dude and everyone else.

I think its the bearing seat and bearing combo…

6 Likes

Post photos of the unscrewed halves as there are bound to be people here who can figure out what the problem is.

2 Likes

I bet it’s the above. It can feel pretty gross to unscrew a yoyo that has a super tight post. I think sometimes the post is even roughed up or grooved to make it tighter. I’ve seen a couple where that seemed to be the case. One was a onedrop, so that was done by someone after manufacture.

1 Like