Can't open yoyo without damage

Wow
An aluminum yo-yo I got recently with surprisingly tight together from factory as well it’s slightly concerned to me however I was able to get it apart on like your sad story.

I’ve since started putting this lubricant a very little amount on the threads it’s meant for dissimilar metals a stainless shaft and aluminum body are, plus this stuff is not like never seeze that just gets everywhere.
I don’t know where I got it but I’m sure there’s a lot of similar products out there at the hardware store.
Good luck and also this post was a very interesting read!

5 Likes

Glad that it all worked out in the end! Kind of feel sorry about your experience.
They are throws that just have a super tight bearing seat. E.g: mk1 exia, Arcadia, the new Valkyrie, etc… unscrew them the first time could be tricky.

For the bind, I’m not sure if you’ve swapped the pads but if not you could try the blue ones I sent. It’s yyf’s blue so supposed to be grippy.

Last just to clarify this yo-yo is made of 6061.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I use a toothpick to apply a little bit of paraffin-based dry lube (designed for bicycle chains: Squirt Long Lasting Dry Lube – Squirt Cycling Products Canada) on the bearing seat/post and in the threads to help reduce friction and wear and tear. It dries quickly after application and leaves a thin wax layer that helps lubricate and protect everything. Also you can easily wipe it off with a paper towel and I apply a new layer each time I do maintenance on a yoyo. I find this particularly helpful for reducing galling on my Ti-Vayder bearing post - since titanium and steel generate a lot of friction on each other.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t a drill press be sufficient? I agree that using a hand drill would be inviting failure and that of course correct tools are required, but since the hole is already piloted in the correct location, all that would be required is that the hole be straight and at the correct depth. The yo-yo should center itself on the table upon contact from the bit.

I’m asking, not telling, since I’ve only used heli-coils a couple times and never in a situation that required precision balancing.

I know it doesn’t apply to this particular situation anymore, since in the picture that @hobby_master posted his threads look pristine. But I’d like to glean as much forewarning as possible for the day that I inevitably attempt to heli-coil a yo-yo.

Ivan

1 Like