Can't be the only one...

This topic comes up quite often. But, who is anyone to say what someone should do with their money or yo-yos? If they want to buy a lot of $100 paper weights, so be it, it’s their money (or their parent’s), and their business. They may be collectors and not interested in throwing a yo-yo or acquiring some level of skill meant to exceed someone else’s bar of acceptance. If you have the money, and the means, to spend your money or someone else’s money the way they allow…have fun with it. I think everyone in society has a vice, and things they spend on in excess, and those who claim not to, are lying to themselves. Everyone I know has arguably spent more than they should on something, whether it’s a car, clothes, shoes, jewelry, toys, food, electronics and the list goes on. I think it is up to the person doing the spending to decide how they want to live their life and spend their money. We can all have an opinion, but at the end of the day, they will do what they want. I think there may be a culture of excess, but there is also a culture of people judging other people for petty things that don’t concern them personally in the least. I personally would rather spend my time making money than judging someone else for how they spend theirs. It is none of my business.

We joke about yo-yo addiction, but I don’t know anyone who has hit rock bottom from buying too many yo-yos. Society does not fall apart based on yo-yo buying. We buy, we try, we sell or trade, and buy again. It is the same with any other thing we might own. I earn my money, and I’ll do with it (or not do) what I please. On that note, let the haters hate. I don’t have an addiction as far as I see it. I consider it taking care of my priorities and having fun with the rest. I am not hurting myself or anyone else, and that makes it okay. :wink:

1 Like

I am not allowed to…

Don’t have a job cause I’m too young and I have parents who disagree…

But I can buy a few every now and then.

Once you buy a bunch and sell a bunch that just dont fit you as well, you learn to be content with what you have. Sometimes it can take a while though. Also having multiple hobbies helps because if you need a part or whatever for something else, you gotta let a yoyo or two go to fund that purchase occasionally

But thats just me, i love buying and selling :wink:

I’m pretty satisfied with my 10
Or so $50 and under yoyos. I can do my tricks and I like the way they play, except the HSpin.

So I don’t want a bunch and buy a ton because A.) I could end up with a case of CLYWs on the street.

Or B.) I won’t enjoy it when I have so many…

Yeah that really bugs me too. If I want something than I just trade for it.

I MOSTLY represent this statement. However, I’m not a kid and I’m buying my own stuff.

Yeah, I got a collection of nearly all mint new high end yoyos and they are in cases and they cost an extraordinary amount.

If it wasn’t for me taking my cases out to club meets, most kids wouldn’t be able to try this kind of stuff, and hence many are now able to make qualified decisions about their “dream” yoyos. But, I do play my stuff as well, and when I get bored, I move to a different yoyo in the collect, so boredom never lasts longer than changing out yoyos. I buy what I want. I also feel that because I’ve managed to acquire so much, I guess it just makes good logical sense to me to bring it out and SHARE IT with others! I like having that kind of capability and am able to provide this “service” to others. Too many kids want high-cost stuff, and honestly, some of this stuff is TOO expensive to take a chance on. However, some of us don’t see things this way. I do. That’s just me.

My goal isn’t to maximize people’s budgets either. I try to save people money when I can. If I can ensure a kid has made the right choice by playing my yoyo that they dreamed of getting, then they can say “yes, I do in fact want this” or “no, it wasn’t quite what I was hoping for”, before having to spend a penny. I feel good helping ensure people don’t waste money.

Now, to just prove your point more: if you ask me to deliver in the tricks and skills department, I can guarantee I will let you down. I’m NOT a good player. Ask iyoyo98!! We got to meet at BAC 2013, and he can attest to my lack of skills, and the awesomeness of my yoyo collection, of which he didn’t see 3 cases of stuff that was nearby!!

I get your rant. I hear your rant. Parents need to not indulge their kids so much. My kid has a growing collection but these days I don’t buy him so much because he enjoys going through my cases, so why bother buying for him? I do make sure he has what he needs though. He grabbed one of my Jet Sets and was taking that around BAC 2013. Yeah, 6.5 years old playing a Jet set.

I won’t relay the story of the parents who bought their kid a $120 NEW MVP to someone who never threw before. That yoyo went from MINT to “recyclable and non-repairable” during a 2 hour meet.

Over the past couple of years I’ve slowed down on tricks and have enjoyed collecting nice yoyos. I love it! I’m satisfied with where I am as a thrower. I’m pretty good but not ultra-competitive good. It’s just nice to be a relaxed thrower and be able to collect!

I make my own money, my parents told me, yes we COULD get you yoyos, but we wont, you need to learn to earn and save on your own, i have kept that statement on my mind, and i would NEVER dare ask for them to pay for or buy me a yoyo unless its birthday or christmas, because i understand its really helping me