"can you walk the dog?"

I understand what you guys mean by wanting to show more people yoyoing without seeming closed minded just because you wont do the tricks that they know. the thing is, I just want to show people that there’s way more than that and I’m looking for clever and/or funny ways to do it.

i say yes, and then i walk the dog (and i smile, not cause i should but because it’s fun).
then i usually do rock the baby, around the world, loop-the-loop, shoot the moon and a few other tricks they may have heard of.
if they’re asking me, i was already doing something ‘more impressive’, but that isn’t what they wanted to see or relate to.

i wrote [a lot] more about it here.

1 Like

Well some are going to flame me but go for it. I don’t feel any yoyo trick is lame as long as it brings pleasure to someone.

If someone asks me to walk the dog, I walk the dog.

I highly dislike when others put me down when they’re better than me at something. I much prefer those lift me up and assist me in obtaining new skills and knowledge or even just make me smile.

I don’t wont to be that first guy.

I just read that article from your blog and all I have to say is that it was beautiful.

I agree that when someone who genuinely wants to see walks the dog its nice to do it but I hate it when people try to make fun of you by saying that. I’ve done it a few times for some people, but find it irritating when they know the level of advanced play you are at and know that you hate doing but still insist

Yes, very well said!!!

I read this post before i went to work. When I went on my smoke ( Yo-Yo) break. While out there a new chick said neat tricks my dad used to yoyo he always did walk the dog and rock the baby. She then asked can you do those I said of course, but would you like to know how? She said sure, and i broke out my Duncan Freestlye to show her. She has caught the bug, and wants to learn the art of Yo. Yo-Yo can be an icebreaker so don’t hate on the little tricks the little tricks is what gets the girls.

This question doesn’t bother me as much as…

“CAN I TRY?!”

It’s not that I don’t want people to try. I get excited when people ask me that, actually. But…THEY’LL DINGK UP MY YOYO. I’ve made the mistake of actually letting one of my coworkers use my yoyo. Never again.

Never.
Again.

I really love/hate when people ask me that. I love it because that means that they’re interested in yoyoing and such but I hate it because I have to explain to them why they can’t because it’s a “special kind of yoyo” (unresponsive). I usually try and take a cheap plastic with me though when i go out so that I have something yo let people use but often times I either forget or I don’t bother because I already have too much junk in my pockets.

I don’t quite get the “hate when I get asked to walk the dog”

if you don’t want to just say so. like “sorry, this is an expensive yoyo and it’d ruin it if I walk the dog right now”.

no need to get mad about this

I mean, when someone shows enough interest to actually walk up to you and ask you about yoyoing, it means that YOU have the potential to initiate a new player, possibly make a new friend.

if you don’t want to get bothered, don’t throw in public. If you do throw in public, expect some reactions and be ready to deal with them in a POSITIVE manner.

nothing good can come out of hate and didn’t they say “yoyo=love”?

if people only know about “walk the dog”, it also means that they had some kind of interest in yoyoing (no matter how little) at some point.

hate is too easy

1 Like

totally agree … plus … i don’t know if someone said it already … but why don’t you just say yes i can walk the dog on my arm ? and do a arm grind … simple solution

and about someone asking … let me try … yeah i don’t know about handing over one of my metals to a lil kid … so always a good idea to keep a plastic etc…

or actually one time i let a kid try my 4a throw … which is a big yo … and i just attached it to the bearing … lol didn’t spin too well :smiley:

I just say, “Yes I can walk the dog.”, and they say"Can you show me?", so I say well I have an expensive yoyo and I don’t want to ding it but if we go in the grass or on carpet then I will gladly show you. :wink:

Another one I do especially if I have a metal I don’t want to ding up is simply tell them “I’ve got one even better!” followed by doing a gyroscopic flop. The people leave fully wow’d and wonder how on earth did that yoyo just roll over like that.