Can you feel knots?

I’ve been watching a lot of yoyo vids lately and noticed that when someone has a knot, they don’t realize it until they try throwing. I however, am able to tell beforehand because I can feel a difference in the bind when I get one. Is anyone else like this?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

most of the time i can tell, but i’m usually not sure if it’s one of those knots that comes out with a few good throws or one of those knots that gets worse with more throws, so my usual ritual is to throw it a couple times and hope it comes out then if it doesn’t i either pick it out with something skinny or unscrew the yoyo.

I can usually tell because if it doesn’t come out in 3 throws, I’m pretty much assured I’ve got a knot I’ve got to pick out or take apart the yoyo to remove.

I’m not to the point where I can detect I did a bad bind until after I try to throw the yoyo again. I hate it when I do get a knot and I’m doing a break-away and instead of the yoyo going AROUND my non-throw hand finger, it slams right into my hand. OUCH!! The pain can be tremendous.

I voted no, but I was thinking about knots in the string and not around the bearing. I can feel a bearing knot as soon as I throw, usually because the string is a little shorter. If I think I had a bad bind i will throw it lightly just to make sure.

As for the string knots, if I don’t notice I made the knot I won’t know its there until I feel it with my hands.

1 Like

Well… Most of the times, yes.
What I can feel is the yoyo return differently to my hand after a bind that cause a knot. Hint to be more careful.

I’ve reached to the point that I can tell if I got a bad knot after a bind or something. I know how my binds feel like and if it felt other than the ordinary, I’m sure it’s a knot.

Yes. As soon as I throw a breakaway and have to do my best “Ali dodging Foreman” so I don’t take one in the chin. ;D

Truthfully if you mean on a bind then usually. Didn’t use to be the case though. Had many near misses in the face.

Mid string knots, I don’t feel immediately. Sometimes, on the throw however, something won’t feel right, I’ll kind of feel something catch. Other times, when I’m in a mount and I feel a snag, that’s when I notice it, or when my hand has the string running across it (Boomerang) and I feel an oddity.

Bearing knots, when my yoyo becomes ‘looper-responsive’ I know something’s up. I often goof off and begin looping with my formerly unresponsive metal before I undo the snag :stuck_out_tongue: