Can you advise me which should be my first Yo Yo?

He said that he didn’t want to have to buy a lot of yoyos. A DM is a great beginner’s yoyo, and it is also great for advanced play.

And so is a Velocity. I also support yo_shi’s suggestion of a plastic YYJ.

If he gets a DM, he should be set for a while, but he’ll want a better yoyo than the velocity in no time.

If you are going to choose between the velocity and the DM, I would say it depends on price. The Velocity is a great beginner yoyo (from what i’ve heard) and also very adjustable, so you can play it for a long time. The Dm is also good and adjustable. And if you are willing to spend that extra money for a DM, buy it. And if you want to start off with something cheaper, you should start with the velocity.

Should we give him an iniation?
Ok, if you didn’t get a yo-yo already they say the Journey is the Yo-yo that gorws with you. A lot of people say KickSide is the best.
I dont’ have one of these (yet) but I say the Dark Magic is a good beginners yo-yo. The heavy metal rims make good spin time so if you’re learing a trick and mess up the yoyo will still be spinning and try again. Depends on what style of play you like. Speed, Serious, goofy, or all around balanced.

Like Doc Said welcome to the group. Iniation begins next week. lol!

The best yo-yo for beginners that can grow with you is the Velocity.  You can dail it to be responsive, and then grow into unresponsive play. 
I have my students use it in all my yo-yo classes. 
Here is an in depth review :

Enjoy!

The responses you all have given me is incredible. Again, thanks so much all for you opinions as it really is giving me some great insight here.

Unfortunately, all these yo yo’s everyone is mentioning is sold out. I hope they restock soon as I am truly excited to buy one of them.

Is there any other place online that I can buy a velocity or DM?

Also, can someone tell me why do we need to keep buying string? Is yo yoing that tough on strings?

Thanks again all.

Go to yoyonation.com and look around. yoyoexpert has great yoyos, but nation has a wider variety. there are so many yoyos i would like to have but you can’t have them all. pick what you want and go with it. i would advise an advanced yoyo and just grow into it.

I recommend getting a 100 pack of string. You really will use that much. You will probably need to change it every few days to a week when you are starting out. Once you are more advanced, you may even get to changing it every couple of days to several times in a single day.

100 strings should last you a few months. I still have my first 100 pack of string and I’ve been yo-yoing for 4 months. Still have probably a month’s worth or more string left.

Velocity is the best choice. I am really tempted to get one. Unlike the YYJ’s, you don’t have to break it in to get unresponsive. I played with one, and saw it was really responsive. Then, I twisted the dial, and BAM - Dead unresponsive. Great yoyo, and I was able to do all of my tricks on it.

Man, the heck with it. André, I’m gonn buy a velocity soon!

OK, so the DM’s gap can be made wider which helps you land string tricks but in order to keep it responsive you have to maintain lubricant. What is the difference between thick and thin lube?

Thin lube is used sparingly just to keep a bearing from dying prematurely. Thick lube is used to slow the bearing down, making it more tug responsive.