can plastic(derlin,polycarb and ect) can be good or better than a metal yoyo?

The Severe Protostar Northstar are the best Delrin and Plastics out there.

The Quest shouldn’t count, it’s Hybrid.

The Protostar and Northstar are hybrid too.

Well, this can be explained on a couple different levels. Number one is that metal has a greater uniformity in substance than plastic does, meaning if you were to take numerous small but equal volume samples of each material, you’d find that the metal samples would be much more likely to weigh exactly the same as each other. The plastic samples would be slightly more likely to have small variances of weight from one tiny sample to the other. If you expand this into enough mass with which to construct a yoyo, you will find that this variance in weight will cause the plastic specimen to be much less likely to have all of its mass distributed in perfect concentricity than the metal counterpart. That is why plastic tends to vibe more than (well-machined) metal.

The second is structural integrity. A piece of metal is able to maintain its structural integrity while cut far thinner, and therefore less massive, than a piece of plastic. So this means that metal allows the designer to use far less mass in undesirable areas than plastic would allow. We all know that yoyo design is all about weight distribution, so by allowing the designer more freedom to put virtually as much or as little weight wherever he or she should choose, metal emerges as the indisputable winner in this aspect as well.

Man I hope that made sense. I haven’t slept in about 36 hours so I’ll be glad to clarify if any of this came out unclear.

the eneme is a metal version of the x-convict.

Hardly…

Eneme

Xcon Pro

Xcon

To answer the OP’s question simply…

Yes, a plastic can play better than a metal.

[quote=“”]

Is the severe? It’s hubs are something aluminum.

Hubs don’t count.

I can’t believe no one here has mentioned 3Yo3.

Being that most of my stuff is plastic, I’d say it really just depends on the situation. haha.

I’ve got several different plastics I machine from:

-Delrin
-Acrylic
-Teflon
-HDPE
-Micarta ( I guess that counts lol)
-Some others I haven’t released yet :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s advantages to it, as well as disadvantages. We’ll start w/ the advantages first:

-Looks you can’t get w/ metal (crazy colorways of acrylic, awesome dye jobs, white as a color (powder coated metals in white don’t count… as powder coat IS plastic lol), and best of all, CLEAR!)

http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/cosmo13.jpg

-Simpler to machine: Plastic just peeeeels off the main piece of material when it’s being cut. I mean, so does metal with the right type of cutting bit & speed, but man, you have to really not know what you’re doing to not cut plastic. I can cut a lot more out, much quicker than I could in aluminum (hence why I don’t have any hand made aluminum yoyos lol). It’s also less dense, so I don’t have to pull out as much material to hit that sweet mid 60s weight :stuck_out_tongue:

-Doesn’t hurt as bad when it hits you in the hand!

-Grinds just as well as metals (I did a 9 sec long grind on a Teflon yoyo, the GrindKing, and still got it back to my hand. Vid on youtube!)

-Cheaper cost (sometimes) than metals

-Machined yoyos can be very smooth

On to the disadvantages:

-It’s less dense, so by nature, it doesn’t spin as long as a metal. So combo’s can’t be as long, but with the right rim weighting, and knowing how to regen, it doesn’t bother me that much

-Not as smooth ( I know, contradiction): You can hold crazzzzy tolerances with alum, if you know how to machine it. Try holding the bearing post to .0002" diameter & keeping it concentric w/ the rest of the yoyo within even less… can’t do it. It’ll “move”, or just deform after machining from stress relieving/moisture absorption/etc a great deal more than metals. And when you get to injection molded stuff, well actually I can’t say this because a lot of the newer molded plastics are very very smooth.

There’s probably more, but just figured being a plastic aficionado that I should weigh in here. & since I was basically just mentioned in the post above hahaha

The king of machining has spoken!