Can anyone recommend a tighter wound thick string?

Like the title says, I’m looking to experiment with some tighter wound thick strings for responsive/fixie play. Poly or poly blend as they’ll be for metal axel, and ideally fatter than a kitty fat for reference.

1 Like

Cumulus foam

3 Likes

Oooo I like its description. Definitely going to order some to try out.

2 Likes

phenomenal string. haven’t used it on a fixie so I’m not sure if the 1yr+ lifespan will hold up there, but it’ll still last way longer than something like kitty

Have you tried the “machine washable” aspect of them?

yeah, not with cumulus foam, but these days that only string I use is dragon, and they only come in white, so I clean them if they start looking dirty

2 Likes

you’ll love it! (i hope) ever since I tried cumulus foam I’ve never used anything but markmont strings!

1 Like

I’ve hand washed all kinds of string, including several Markmont formulas.

How do tighter or looser strings affect play?

1 Like

tighter string torsion has longer lasting usage while the looser/soft ones are the opposite but both have the same slack ability.

1 Like

Okay so is tighter generally better? Is there any benefit to using strings with looser torsion?

1 Like

Using a softer torsion string glides through your skin without worrying getting laceration cuts or string burns easily, players who prefer tighter torsion string are mostly competitors who wants to use it overtime for practice sesh or doing freestyle run throughs.That way they only change string when its fray out or looses its slack ability after multiple hours of play.

1 Like

Twisted stringz felt really wound tight to me. They have a lot of thickness levels too

2 Likes

Yes I recommend getting all 3 thicknesses of Twisted Stringz, then you can experiment with set up. They have a nice torsion for fixie play.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I have a sample pack with 3 versions in it. I just put the white one on my plastic 000.

1 Like

Blue extra thick twisted string next to my used YoyoStringLab Plutonium string. Going to give it a go.

1 Like

As with general fixie setup up, be sure to over crank the string while breaking it in, this will help make tighter loop around the axle.

Over crank? I’m lovin’ this extra thick Twisted Stingz string so far.

1 Like

Ya crank the torsion on the string tighter than you normally would during break in and gradually let it off until you get to neutral.

1 Like