Camera setup

Currently struggling to make my yoyo videos look the way i imagined. I‘m having some trouble getting everything visible enough and i could use some tips to make the string pop out.
I already know the basic stuff like contrasting the string against darker clothing or backgrounds but my current camera doesnt have the resolution and id like to get a new one(recommendations are welcomed)
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Are you using a phone?

I have used my ihpone xr and it worked pretty well but it broke and my iphone 6 cam wont cut it

Yeah. Newer phones will do the trick. And portrait mode in the newer iPhones could be plenty.

If you want some added control you can get a used dslr or mirrorless camera with a lens that has a 2.8 or so aperture. But there is a learning curve there to use it properly.

2 Likes

Thanks ill look into that. I wanna learn some photography basics anyway so it wouldnt be a hassle.

I made this video some time ago explaining how to make your string to pop out.
Generally speaking, you want to have a light source pointing directly in front of you, slightly angled if you want to add some shade. No light should come from behind you exept for minor lights.
Use neon yellow or green strings for better result. Also, if you’re using a phone, I suggest you to download InShot for editing. If you feel to pay the pro license (€10 a year) it will allow you to saturate specific colors, so that you can highlight your string even more.
If you want a suggestion for a camera, I use Sony ZV1, I’m not skilled photographer by any means but the result are decent (see my recent videos)

6 Likes

That is excellent advice. I’ve been using inshot for ages but never thought about that function.

1 Like