California changes to knife laws

Of course the manufacturer would defend their product, but it is a straight up lie.

Check around the 1:30 mark if the timestamp embed doesn’t work.
I just despise when manufacturers lie to their customers when the stakes are a bullet potentially taking a surprise trip in an undetermined trajectory.
Enough off topic crap out of me though, I recommend California change its knife laws to something more common sense like my state.
Don’t stab people, don’t cut people. Really about all you need.

1 Like

Absolutely agree, didn’t mean to come across as contrary to that. Errors occur even with the premier manufacturers, ultimately it’s down to the end user to know their tools and handle them responsibly.

Ivan

2 Likes

I have not researched to see if things have changed in the last decade, but I have a short story for you guys just to show you how stupid some knife laws are

Many years ago a few days before my 59th birthday, my girl asked me if I had any plans for the weekend. I told her I hadn’t seen my good friend Yohans for a while, so I thought I would go to Arizona. After all, it’s only about 400 miles away why not nice road trip ha ha.

I got there and met Yohans for breakfast at one of those country kitchen type places like an IHOP but not an IHOP. But they have the standard breakfast menu and Yohans assured me the quality of them breakfast selections was good.

So… I’m sitting across the table from Yohans and we’re waiting for our server and Yohans told me, ‘ Mo, I need you to do something for me. He said you notice at that table across the aisle and down a few? I said yes which exactly are you talking about? He said the one with the police sitting there having breakfast. I said yeah I see them.

As I was glancing around, I noticed, at least several people had weapons that I could see. A gun handle sticking out of pocket. A gun handle sticking out of a holster. 45 handle sticking out of a purse side pocket…. Etc. I was totally amazed because you wouldn’t see that in California and not a single person that I could see looked like they were having any problems with people, sporting guns, very visible to anybody that might care to notice.

Yohans said that on the way into the restaurant he noticed that I had a folding knife(SOG) clipped on the outside of the left pocket of my Levi’s. My shirt was short enough that it was easy to see it in California that’s no problem at all. At least at that time that wasn’t the case in Arizona.

Yohans quietly suggested to me that when I felt the police were not looking in my direction to just casually unhitch the knife clip from my pocket and slide the knife all the way in my pocket so I could not be seen.

I asked him why should I do that? He said well there’s nothing wrong with open carry of guns in Arizona. But you can’t display knives openly. He said they won’t arrest you or anything, but if they feel like getting technical they’ll come over here and write you a citation for carrying a knife that’s visible to others. He said he thinks the final is like a $50 ticket? It’ll kinda like a parking ticket but not for parking. I kind of giggled a little telling him you’re joking right question? he assured me he wasn’t joking. You can have a gun sticking out of your pocket but you can’t have a knife that can be seen by others it has to be concealed.

So I kind of stared at the officers for a minute. They were really paying attention to anything but their conversation with each other so I just reached town like I was gonna scratch my knee sorta… In a clip tonight and slip it down into my pocket. I told Yohans done deal. He said good.

OK…. That was about 12/13 years ago, and I still am fascinated by how nice lol like that can exist?

To me, it doesn’t even make any sense, no matter how I think of it. Especially if you consider that I went into the restaurant to start some trouble. Wouldn’t that just be the perfect example of why you shouldn’t take a knife to a gun fight? Lol

The point I already pretty much alluded to in a previous reply in this thread, is that no matter how many laws they make about guns or knives, or any kind of weapon, the laws are only followed by law abiding citizens. You can have 1 million knife laws and the people that have that criminal mindset will be the happiest people in town. Why? Simple> Because when they decide to attack you alone, with the help of their swarming buddies, they are hoping that you are a law-abiding citizen and are carrying nothing that you might use to harm them.

There is an old saying that goes like this> When all weapons are totally outlawed, only outlaws will have weapons.

There are federal weapons laws. There are state weapons laws. There are municipal weapons laws. Where I live in Southern California it seems that the various police departments interpret the laws differently. LAPD will say that you can’t have a knife with a blade over so many inches long. The sheriffs department will say that you can’t have a blade longer than the width of your hand. Which is completely stupid because if you have small hands, that means you can only legally carry a knife with a small blade. But if you have a hand like Shrek, you can basically carry machete I guess? Which means that hypothetically, when walking down the street on the wrong side of town during the full moon, if you have a small knife, because you have small hands in the creep walking toward you is as big as a side of a mountain with Hands so big, he can carry a sword, and aren’t you in for a world of hurt, lol.

The people that write the laws are not stupid. They are ignorant. The various laws in the various jurisdictions are so confusing that even the judges that oversee some of the weapons charges often have to delay cases so they can do their homework, and figure out exactly the specific nuances of the weapons laws within their jurisdiction.

The greater the profusion of laws and the more confusing the laws become, the greater the chance that the general public will be in fear of going anywhere with any type of weapon on their person for fear of breaking the law that they’re not even sure which specifically apply to them.

I can honestly say that I would laugh until my eyes start watering if I saw any actual humor in the over abundance of lunacy infused into weapons laws.

I am not laughing…

5 Likes

Nice post. Loved that Arizona story!
I also don’t know when the law changed but I do now know what they did. Now all fixed blade knives including Chefs knives, ice picks and some other things that where already on the bad list, are ALL classified as piercing weapons.
So you can’t carry a 10” Damascus chefs knife on the street unless it’s openly carried on your belt in a sheath. No concealed carry.

1 Like

Yet another law that only affects people that follow the law. Seems like the entire point is to slowly disarm the population as any sane person would opine that someone who followed knife/gun laws is much less likely to commit a violent crime with them.

9 Likes

This

6 Likes