Cake’s String Reviews

MarkMont Dragon Foam || B- (81/100)

I feel like MarkMont is just one of those companies that makes fast durable trilobal strings. This is barely the second one I’ve used, but i can tell they got this down to a science. Although trilobal isn’t my favorite subgenre of string, i can still see the quality and work that went into perfecting this one. It’s not sandpaper rough, but this one will definitely rub you a few times with the tactile feel of the threads and being able to feel every groove of the string. Binds were a bit inconsistent and vary from crisp and beautiful to snaggy to slippery. I hypothesize it’s the tight wind, but i can be wrong since this doesn’t seem to be as tightly wound as either. (Side Note: I put the string on my Bathysphere w the same pads as my Monarch and binds were noticeably slipper. Goes to show the impact yo-yos have with thickness rating translated to binds. Reminder that if I see a string as thin that you see as thick, a thin string to me will probably just not bind for you lol)

Whips are super fast, but it’s not overwhelming (yet, it’s definitely pushing it). It helps a lot with tricks that require hard whips, and while it definetly messes with my muscle memory with alphaline and phoenix string, once you get the hang of it it feels amazing to do big whips with a more relaxed feel. Slacks are too unruly to control for me, but i know some people have a talent for it. It’s kind of faster than my mind, to be fair: they’re open and have a strong presence, but maneuvering it gets difficult because of how fast it moves in the air. Given the basic indestructibility of this, none of these qualities changed throughout the use. Yeah, it’s basically indestructible. No change at all throughout the hour besides a few super thin frays that just come from touching and rubbing against the string, but this is the least hindering fray i’ve ever seen.

TL;DR: very gud. fast n rough n durable but gud! Stats below.

Durability 30 min (6)
Durability 1 hr (5)
Personal Thickness Feel (4.5) tight
Whip Feel Break-In (4.5) FAST
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (3.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4) builds fast, is fine
Softness during break-in (1.5)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (3.5)
Total: 40.5 x 2 = 81, 81 = B- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

8 Likes