Cake’s String Reviews

will do, i’ll tag you when it happens. in the meantime though,

Original Throw Slim || C (76/100)
Original Throw String

The feel of this out of the box felt like good, well-made bulk poly string. Not too rough, not too soft. Amazing feel, and it doesn’t die for a good while. The string’s binds are 100% yoyo dependent, good for a normal to grippy response like snow tires or maybe modern responsive. It had a good feel (completely instinct-based) but it was definetly slippery on my monarch with shore 60 pads. At the beginning, slacks were not as fast as OT normal or fat and didn’t keep shape as well, but that’s just nitpicking an already great performing string and comparing it to better(?) counterparts of the same brand. Whips also had a solid, consistent, fastness to them that people kind of expect from OT, so it’s nice to know the slimness maintained that.
Tension build was pretty fast compared to other bulk poly, and only got worse. This is a good example of below average tension holding. It’s not bad enough for me to think I got a bad batch, but it’s definitely bad enough where I feel it was something the creators of it didn’t put enough thought into. The slacks got less open and solid, and whips got slightly less solid around the hour mark. Lastly, I think a good way to describe this string is “consistently mid”, which im sure ive used before. It’s just a slim string that’s good enough. Sad day, I really wanted this to be the OT Normal I never got. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (4.5)
Durability 1 hr (4)
Personal Thickness Feel (3.5) def thin, but feels good :slight_smile:
Whip Feel Break-In (4.5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4)
Slack Feel Break-In (4)
Slack Feel 1 hr (2.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (2)
Softness during break-in (4.5) just right
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4.5) boringly consistent

Total: 38 x 2 = 76, 76 = C graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

8 Likes