Cake’s String Reviews

the week continues and i’m still busy, this is also from April!

Zipline EP .20/20 Betty Gallegos Edition || B+ (87/100)

This string feels funny! It’s slick, but not fluffy and plush like nylon. Since I have naturally moist hands, the string started to feel sort of sticky, but not humidity sticky (edit: a few hours in and it does start to feel humidity sticky, heads up if you live in a humid environment). Interesting feeling! Binds are GREAT, they feel thick but still have a small bit of slip to them to give the tight and full feel I like so much, at least on the monarch shore 60 pad setup. Performance-wise, it’s pretty good! It started off good, slacks were very light feeling and kind of slow, sometimes like I couldn’t feel them. That feeling was overshadowed by the openness of the slack, though. Just an accustomed taste! Whips also felt good, but not hand-holding or overdone like with some trilobal and nylon string. I prefer my strings to be a slight bit faster, but this is nothing bad at all, definitely lands in the whippy category. I see it as a solid performing option, but not nearly the best. The feeling and pace of the string kind of makes you not want to play hard, but kind of methodical and intricate if that makes sense, i understand that’s VERY subjective. Durability was also so good I didn’t even notice it while playing, only mentioning it here at the end because of how basically good it is. Overall, great feeling string. You can’t go wrong with this, but don’t expect anything fast-paced.

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (4.5) normal aesthetic wear
Personal Thickness Feel (5) waow
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4)
Slack Feel Break-In (4.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3)
Softness during break-in (4.5) oh yeah
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4.5)
Total: 43.5 x 2 = 87, 87 = B+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

8 Likes