Cake’s String Reviews

tired day, finals this week shudders, day 4!

Throw-Yo SOLUTIONS Ether || D+ (68/100)

I went into this wanting to like it, but this is a perfect example of a string that would be wonderful if it was either thinner or less tightly wound. It feels both soft and rough, but the roughness slightly overpowers the softness. It feels kind of gross for my preferences, as the string feels too snappy when it comes up on a bind. It’s not thick, but when it binds it’s like I have XL snow tires on 19mm pads, which ruins the feel for me. For that one reason, I don’t personally see me using this, but I can see how it can be a sought-after quality.

Slacks were good! String felt a bit heavy (?) but the fastness that comes with trilobal was dampened, leaving the nice openness available. Whips felt a bit like OT in the fastness category where the speed doesn’t hurt (like some other solutions). Both of these qualities would be better, but for some reason the feel of this string knocks out any sort of likability for me. That’s not even mentioning the slightly-less-than-average tension holding. Wasn’t my favorite string, but wasn’t my worst by a long shot. My heart says a D, numbers gave a D+. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (4.5)
Personal Thickness Feel (2)
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4)
Slack Feel Break-In (3.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (2)
Softness during break-in (3)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (2.5)
Total: 34 x 2 = 68, 68 = D+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

8 Likes