Cake’s String Reviews (String Saturday)

@rkalajian Solution April! Part Two! Yay!

Throw-Yo SOLUTIONS Ink || C- (70/100)

FAST. PRETTY. COARSE . DURABLE. FAST AGAIN.

All of these are words to describe this string. This colorway is an amazing shiny white and yellow (FRI, for fellow Splatoon fans) and it never goes away. Besides the aesthetics, this is the most tightly wound string i’ve used so far (so expect TIGHT/SNAGGY binds). That, along with the rayon and trilobal blend, makes for a string so breakneck zippy you need to adjust to the string. It doesn’t compliment you, it DEMANDS of you the competence to wield it. It’s a slippery little squid of a string, which makes the name INK very appropriate.

Whips were kind of hard to succeed with due to how fast it is, but it helped me cheat a bit. I don’t think arms can move fast enough for high hooks with this, but give it a shot, what do i know! Slacks were so fast the string would actually close on itself sometimes, like it caught up to itself and closed the slack formation. If you go purposefully slower you’ll be fine, but I shouldn’t have to do that in my opinion. All of these were definitely worse in the first 30ish minutes, but you start to warm up to how it works. It didn’t get much better, but it got better. Not by any quality of the string, but by muscle adjustments.

There’s not much to say about the tension holding and consistency, it’s so durable that none of ANY quality really changed, so in that sense the consistency is high. For doing the same tricks over and over, i also felt like it had a fairly repeatable feel. It’s not soft though, maybe it’s soft by rayon/trilobal metrics? Not to anything else though.

Overall, VERY unique string. Not my cup of tea at all, but definitely gets style points. Maybe i’ll put it on a shelf queen throw for the look. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (6)
Durability 1 hr (6)
Personal Thickness Feel (2)
Whip Feel Break-In (2.5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3)
Slack Feel Break-In (2.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (3)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3.5)
Softness during break-in (2.5) coarseish
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4)
Total: 35 x 2 = 70, 70 = C-, graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

9 Likes