C3 BTH Improvement?

Just looking through the YYE store, and saw the BTH. I was wondering, what if C3 stuck a D-sized bearing in it? Wouldn’t that make it spin even longer? I’m not totally sure if it would work though.

No that wouldn’t.

D-size bearings have a higher RPS rate but that only means it spins faster, not longer.

Ah, I see. I’m not a genius. :stuck_out_tongue: So would an larger bearing work better?

Not sure about this one, I don’t know much either. I may not have understood what I was explained very well.
However, I suppose that having a larger bearing would mean having a lower RPM rate, then you would probably lose stability more easily.

But spinning faster is spinning longer. I think a D-bearing would increase the Sleep time, but probably only by like a minute.

But if that’s the case, would they not have already done that? I mean… That IS the sole purpose of this yoyo.

Because size C is mainstream.

Fundamentally, long sleepers are about two things:

1. How much energy you can store in the yoyo. That is, when you throw the yoyo, you’re putting the kinetic energy from your arm into the body of the yoyo. You don’t only want a hard throw, you also want that energy transfer to be as efficient as possible and you want to use as much of the string’s length as possible. A slippy response system or too much of a gap between the response and the bearing (either of which can produce a thunk as the yoyo reaches the end of the string) can waste energy, and when the yoyo kicks back (which is common with smaller bearings, and particularly with D bearings), it’s because your throw has either too much energy at the beginning or you’re pulling in the wrong direction for that yoyo, and the rest of the string is likely to be underutilized. More important than bearing size alone is how the bearing size is balanced with the rest of the yoyo’s design to facilitate a good, strong transfer of energy. There are many factors that can go into that, including the intended throwing form of the yoyoer, but in the interest of brevity I’ll move on to…

2. How slowly that energy bleeds off. Primarily, you want a bearing that doesn’t produce very much friction (myth: bearing size makes enough of a practical difference to matter here) and you want to make sure the string doesn’t rub anything during the spin. More than just a straight throw, the string twist method is essential for this. String-centering bearings also make it easier, not just by keeping the string away from the body/response, but also by reducing precession so you can hold more still and focus better. You also want high rimweight, which gives not only the advantage of raw mass (inertia is your friend) but also mechanical advantage, which gives that mass a stronger argument against any friction in the bearing. Which is to say, a yoyo with higher rimweight and no other differences will spin more slowly given the same amount of energy, but it will also lose that energy (and thus spin) more slowly.

tl;dr no, just switching the bearing to a different size is not likely to make more difference than just selecting a bearing that produces very low friction.

2 Likes