C3 Bearing issues. I am as puzzled as you.

So here I am playing with my new Di Base when all of a sudden the bearing seizes up. I have had this issue before with other bearings so I just wiggle the bearing off, clean it and… Nothing… The bearing spings better however it doesn’t spin out it seems to spin, and when it gets slow enough it simply stops instead of spinning out as normal bearings do. I have since then cleaned and lubed it twice just to check. I have run it dry, lubed and it never seems to be quite fixed.

When I put it in the yoyo it seems nice until it shoots back to my hand when I do a grind and sometimes during whips/slacks.

Any suggestions from my yoyoexpert bretheren?

What are you cleaning it with and are you drying it thoroughly? It sounds like you might have some residue from the cleaning agent in the bearing. Do you normally play your bearings dry? If so, they might just be wearing out.

Just a few thoughts.

I am currently using lighter fluid. But I have also used mineral spirits on the same bearing. I spin the bearing and allow it to thoroughly dry before using. Normally I do play my bearings dry.

That’s gotta be it! You’re an animal and with your mighty throw, plus persistance, and maybe the humidity/dust factor in your area you’re just burning up bearings!

More seriously, are you only having this problem with bearings that you play dry? If so that might be your answer.

This is the only bearing I have had issues with. All of my other bearings are clean and dry and play perfectly fine.

Maybe you just got a bad bearing.

The bearing that came with mine was crap. Get a new one.

I would much rather be able to fix the bearing… :\

Unless your funds are super tight or you can’t get a replacement bearing, I’d suggest that the bearing simply be replaced. For the time you put into trying to bring the bearing back to life, the odds are that the time spent could have been better used for something else.

My kid did something and my B-sized bearing in my Aquarius seized up. I’m not sure what he did and he doesn’t know what he did. Well outside the fact I said “No” and he said “yes” and threw it. It didn’t hit anything harder than it normally would have. A cleaning, a lubing(to lift out parts) and another cleaning, then lots and lots of spinning brought the bearing back to life. I only did this because at the time, YYE had no B-sized bearings in stock. They do now.

My thoughts are to keep a couple of spare bearings in each size for what I have needs for, which turns out to be A,B,C,D and Euro C sizes. I think I’ll pass on my Big Yo though. If anything, having a “generic type” bearings on hand as spares will keep things spinning while I wait for replacements. I’m going to be adding some bearings in my next order.

1 Like

Alas, I will more than likely just buy a new bearing. So sad that it just won’t fix itself though!

Oh and when I order, how do I request that the bearing just be put in an envelope? I plan on just ordering like two bearings and some side effects and refuse to pay for a priority box. I know that you have before Studio42 so I would like some clarification on that if possible.

Thanks again for the help!

I haven’t done this yet. I typically order a bunch of stuff. I usually order a yoyo or two, then add in accessories so I’m not paying “extra” for shipping them.

First, I would say do one of two things:

1: Place the order and PAY(which may give you a first Class option) and put in your notes “please place in envelop with first class postage and refund the difference. Thank you”

Or:

2: Call them up with your order number to talk to them. I have to admit, I have no clue what they sound like on the phone, I’ve never talked to them except via email! They’ll most likely issue a refund for the difference via the way you paid.

Or:
3: Place the entire order over the phone. How you pay is up to you. Chances are they’ll send a Paypal Invoice or ask to take your credit card over the phone.

For your order, due to the shape of the items and the number, you’re going to want something a bit more rugged than a typical envelop. one of those little manila mailers should be about right as they are a little more durable, and then wrapped inside the packing slip should most likely be more than sufficient. Trust me when I say the YYE team will ensure it’s packed in a manner they feel is more than adequate to get it to you safely. Even if it means a padded mailer, with first class postage, you’ll still come up $3-4 ahead.

While I got lucky resurrecting that B-sized bearing for my Aquarius, it was most likely just dumb luck. I’m only getting like 5-8 seconds of spin out of it now. I have no idea what it was before the problem happened. At any rate, I was only fussing with it to try to “buy some time” until someone had B-sized bearings available for purchase. Even so, now with the bearing working, I still intend to buy either 1 or 2 replacement bearings.

1 Like

When ever I just order stuff like that it comes in a padded envelope.

1 Like