Buying Advice for a Summer Throw

I wanna get a new yoyo for the summer. I want something that is pretty casual and I can throw in my pocket when the kids want a push on the swings. I’m not really looking for “an undersized throw that plays full size”. I would rather have a lighter, thinner yoyo. I’ve also started messing around with some modern responsive play on a butterfly and that’s fun, but I don’t like playing on the cheap feeling plastic yoyo. It looks like a deep state or an alleycat 650b is exactly what I’m looking for, but I can’t find yoyos like that for sale anywhere.

Does anyone here know whether a Sherpa with a slim bearing would play responsively enough? Or should I get an unresponsive YYF California and maybe get a wooden yoyo for 0a?

2 Likes

Maybe the aluminum butterfly?

2 Likes

The Doc Pop Weekender is my favorite metal responsive yoyo. It is on the expensive side, and it is quite light, but for modern responsive play it is amazing. And there are still blue ones in stock at his site.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s a really cool looking yoyo! The gap width looks like it would be tough to keep it responsive.

!!! I’ve read so many great things about the weekender on responsive threads! It was out of stock here and I didn’t know he sold them directly.

@Glenacius_K

You can run it with a Slim C if you want a slimmer gap on the AL Butterfly. Sherpas are also a good Jack of all trades as well, just tune with bearing of choice and lube or grease.

3 Likes

Yes?

1 Like

lmao actually dying rn. i tagged you because this gentleman is looking for a fixed axle. still laughing because i don’t usually get responses like that.

I see!

1 Like

Doc pop is making a new slim line delrin that’s coming out at the end of June.

2 Likes

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. Whether the Sherpa actually could handle some 0a play. I’ve seen mixed reviews about it’s responsiveness.

Deep State is definitely the first recommendation I would make. It’s exactly what you’re describing. As a matter of fact, I do exactly what you describe, push my daughter on the swing and throw the DS.

The Sherpa is ok as a semi-responsive throw. I have both of mine setup with the slim bearings/ short axle but even then, I feel it’s too wide to be stuck in the pocket. It’s more like a butterfly size. I have my string double-looped around the bearing and even then it’s not always consistently responsive on the tug.

I’ve never thrown a Weekender but it looks to be similar to the Deep State. It is however, a bit more expensive.

I can’t give an honest opinion on any of the others as I have only thrown/own the DS and Sherpa.

Good luck

kgb

1 Like

Thanks! I wish I could find a DS or Alleycat 650b for sale. I guess I’ll try bst first. If that doesn’t pan out I’ll have to decide between splurging on the weekender or getting a budget, properly unresponsive slim design like the California.

2 Likes

There’s someone selling some no-jives and a nice Hildy bro’s Currier on the bst here. My no jive is one of my go to’s for modern responsive/wooden fixie play. Haven’t played with a Currier, but I’ve heard they play well, too.

1 Like

I picked up a YYF California a while back on the basis of Throws N’ Brews review. I have to admit I didn’t like it much at first, but once I stopped expecting it to play like a performance bi-metal I began to like it more - it’s now one of my favourites for some causal fun, and it’s fairly pocket-friendly too. Definitely a good yoyo.

2 Likes

Pick up a G5, they have a slim profile that’s easier to keep in your pocket.

1 Like