Buyers Remorse

Buying yo-yos and gathering up yoyos are two entirely different things.

The confusion is obviously only in your mind.

To me; a collector is somebody that procures yo-yos for one or more of many different reasons.

Collectors often know exactly what they want. They know what it’s worth. They may be interested in; rarity, color ways, brands, type, material type, certain numbers, resell value, etc…

Collectors normally organize their yo-yos display cases or drawers or lighted cabinets.

They may end up with a very large number of yo-yos; but the number of yo-yos they ‘have’ is most often not their driving stimulus.

… Then there are people like me. That buy yo-yos because they just like the adventure of new yo-yos. Large numbers are not the end game. Specific numbered releases or brands or color ways or limited editions or values are not a planned part of the process.

I am not driven by what others buy. I never buy yo-yos with thoughts they may be worth more years later… or buying to immediately resell at a profit.

I do not organize my yoyos. I do not have a ledger with all my yoyos listed. I do not display yo-yos in my houses. I keep most loosely stacked in plastic totes. They are gently placed in the large containers but they are not stacked with space saving precision.

When I look for a yoyo; often I have to try and remember exactly what container the yoyo is in?

Years ago; no doubt; I was a pretty busy modder. I was driven by a desire to get more performance out of yo-yos. I had extensive experience customizing cars and speedboats and Harley motorcycles. Back when I got my first yoyos; I just felt they were something else to hot-rod.

Back around 1998; I noticed that the kids were doing some pretty crazy(at the time) tricks on some pretty sub potential performing yo-yos. That was my inspiration to use my customizing skills to squeeze more performance out of the current yo-yos of the day. I became a sort of Dr. Frankenstein of yo-yos. I bought stuff and reworked it. Like Mr. Potatohead; I moved stuff around.

I made friends with other yoyo modders from around the World. We attacked hot-rodding yo-yos from many different angles. Not to outdo each other. But to see ‘what we could do’.

As ‘all’ of us yoyo customizers’ did ‘our things’; over time the Manufacturers did their own Yoyo performance enhancements. And yo-yos for retail sale became more and more higher performance oriented.

So; my personal mission slowly became unnecessary. I pretty much converted from buying yo-yos to make them work better. To buying yo-yos to see which ones I liked better.

I never had the desire or specific urge to accumulate a Ton of yo-yos. I have never purchased a yoyo with ‘skills included’. I have never bought a yoyo with a vision that I would become waaay better because ‘this is the one’ mindset.

I buy yo-yos because I love messing with yo-yos and endlessly appreciate what others produce.

I am around for the long run and no doubt I will die with a yoyo in my hand or in my pocket or both. I don’t falter and have thoughts that I no longer have time for yo-yos. I will not quit because life is too busy. Or yo-yos are suddenly boring. Or nobody close to me yoyos; so what’s the use.

When I bought my first yoyo in about 1997/98; I knew immediately that It would be a part of my active life.

One driving motivation in my yoyo adventures; was simply to prove that yo-yos could be made to perform better through various tweaks and weight distribution factors.

Various Awards I have received over the years; seem to point to the reality that ‘others have recognized’ my efforts were worthwhile. I sure didn’t present Awards to myself.

So now I am wearing ‘the other shoe’. I am appreciating and recognizing what others; do, make, accomplish. Pushing the envelope at higher levers.

It is almost impossible to buy a poor performing yo-yos nowadays. Yoyos are no longer bad or good. Yoyos are good, really good or really awesome. From a multitude of Makers. And at just about every imaginable pricepoint. I don’t need to spend time cutting up stuff to impress ‘who’. I buy stuff to impress me.

I am slowly learning CAD now. I have ideas that will surface when I ‘am ready’. As a modder; I am far from done. But I am not compelled to knock the dust off my machines because somebody may challenge me make some moves like days gone past.

I never planned on having such a large number of yo-yos. But without a specific plan; often unplanned results will occur.

To be continued…

15 Likes

I couldn’t have said it any better myself. Your whole post, really. I grew up building hotrods with my dad, I still enjoy working on, modifying and driving my cars. There really is something about yoyos that gives me the same buzz, especially how anybody with an idea and a few bucks can make their vision into reality, the metal work, the fit and finish. I really enjoy experiencing the craftsmanship and feel of different yoyos. I try to see things from the eye of the designer. Every new (to me) yoyo is another adventure.

5 Likes

You do realise that those 1000 yoyos would still exist even if @yoyodoc did not purchase them?

You also need to remember that yoyos slowly accumulate in one’s possession over a number of years, and @yoyodoc has been in the game for a good while.

5 Likes

If you cant figure it out dont toss it, send it my way haha

My biggest buyers remorse at the moment is yoyo tape.
The first few days of playing I had such bad chaffing I bought a pack of 3 massive rolls of Coban tape from amazon. (It was the smallest bundle it comes in). Wasn’t cheap either, £5 so $7.
Would have normally bought it from this site, but I needed it ASAP. Arrived next day, used for exactly 1 day. Now my finger doesn’t need it any more. Have basically 3 new rolls that will probably never get used…

5 Likes

Immsorry/;(.;

I have.a cheap silver.2013 H if.Maybe it’s the year.

Has a.scratch that will need to buffer out of not do arm.grinds deep.scratch

Other than that smooth Spike.SE.

$40 shipped or trades

Cloth athletic tape? Try this! First man made thingy to break the sound barrier IIRC. Don’t cut your ear off trying the reverse Tasmanian cutback.

3 Likes

Lol I might do that.

My remorse has been with cheap yoyo’s. I’m still a beginner and cheap yoyo’s just about caused me to give up the hobby. I found them frustrating until I was a few months in and my throw became better. Luckily I took a chance and picked up a quality responsive before quitting. Once I got a good yoyo I began to enjoy the hobby.

4 Likes

A dollar store yoyo is what got me into the hobby. I progressed and bought better yoyos but it was so much fun.
Than I bought a 5$ butterfly xt. Followed by a Sage. The sage was like 12$ if I remember correctly and was quite versatile. What cheap yoyos were you using? And what did you end up buying later? I got some good responsives that genuinely helped me enjoy responsive play a lot but I still pick up the butterfly xt to show my kid what is still possible on it

4 Likes

that’s what i did when i was 13 i got a dollar tree responsive then the string broke and i threw out the yoyo very sad/ashamed now that i did that now i’m 14 and a friend got my the N12 but i still buy the dollar tree yoyos bc they are really fun

6 Likes

Yes. That’s an old string repurposed for the cracker.

7 Likes

ive been meaning to buy one just to see what it feels like again

3 Likes

they aren’t even that bad lol i bought three of em’ i did a half swap with green and purple and i’m giving two of them to a friend i’m giving him the blue and the other half swap

3 Likes

When you get into 2A or 3A, you’ll need the tape again.

4 Likes

ah true true,
want to focus on 1A first and then might go 2A because you know can’t exactly be a yoyoer withoutbasic 2A hype
and then I think I would prob do 3A last, want to try 5A.

But yeah I think having basics down for 1A is first before over complicating things

4 Likes

I just use ban aids lol but when I get into 3a again im going to buy some tape

2 Likes

Be prepared: 2A is hard af.

When you get there I recommend the Sunrises or 720s.

Sunrise is basically 720s with Yoyojam looper bearings instead of the normal ones.

I started with Initiators and wouldn’t recommend them. Never got them setup in a way that felt comfortable. I’m sure skilled 2A players can shred with them but as a novice they didn’t work for me.

Edit:

Also 5A is super easy to get into compared to anything else and lots of fun. Definitely don’t wait, just slap a CW onto a plastic you don’t mind scuffing up.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advise @Durfee
How is looper bearings different from 720 bearings?
I do own a couple of counterweights from a FHZ and Hm I would like to say flying monkey? Flying panda? It was named something similar to that a flying something.
Might slap one on and give it a go next time I am bored and want to try something different.

2 Likes

I know this is a long time away…but the month of May is called 5A May…maybe we can do some freehand tricks for our Trick-A-Week challenge during the month! :smiley:

I’d love to get into 5A eventually as well.

No plans to get into 2A really…though I would like to learn to loop with my right (dominant) hand.

3 Likes