Buyers Remorse

Maybe it is just you and I who seem to lose money on resale. I’ve taken to justifying the difference between purchase price and my selling price as the rental fee. It doesn’t really ease the sting of taking a bath on a mint (aside from a little use on the response pads) yoyo, but, it is what it is.

5 Likes

Buyers remorse regarding yoyos? Never, not once, hasn’t happened, because I buy to experience the yoyo. I enjoy some more than others but I’m always glad to experiment and experience each one. I live in a world where I yoyo alone, nobody to borrow from, no yoyo stores, just you guys, internet, and YYE.

I don’t believe there is a, “single best yoyo,” but that each yoyo offers a different experience. I’ve done this for decades and a lustrum and I usually choose yoyos that I think will offer a new experience, verses a similar experience to something I already have. Besides yoyos can disappear as quickly as they appear.

9 Likes

Yes! Bearings can make a huge difference. I need to find side effects but I changed my Küntosh from the flat bearing to a center track bearing. It went from “Eh. Not too bad!” To “I will be buried with this thing.” Makes me curious as to how side effects will change play as well.

3 Likes

Happy to send you some to try out in it if you like! Just shoot me a pm.

1 Like

I’ve had this, and the opposite experience. My Copper Parlay, and Black Nickel Sudo both came with a DS bearing; which of course super nice. However, I found them both to be much more fun with flat bearings in them.

Also, if you only have a couple of yoyos, don’t be so quick to judge and/or get rid of it. Just keep trying it. Chances are it will grow on you.

5 Likes

It’s not just response. Just as important is the gap width, and it’s just too wide on the 650b. I also don’t like the weight distribution.

2 Likes

This surprises that you don’t like it. I think the 650b is very similar in play to a lot of fixed axles. It’s fairly light which I find helps with stalls and shooting the moon.

It’s not my favorite responsive by any means, I do prefer a bit more heft but I don’t think it’s that bad.

1 Like

I have buyers remorse about my puffin. I love it but no matter what I do to it its spin time is really low. Like 15 seconds. I tried changing the bearing and cleaning them. Idk what it could beeeeeee.

3 Likes

This sounds like a mystery. And I love mysteries.

5 Likes

15 SECONDS?! that is not right

4 Likes

That is strange. Different bearings all have the same performance? I’m sure you have, but, did you check the bearing seat for scuz? I could be very wrong, but, it seems the potential culprits here are bearing and response pads (assuming the yoyo isn’t completely trashed). Maybe order a new set of snow tires, replace them, give the yoyo a good cleaning when you pull the current pads out…

Also, the guys at yoyo expert are pretty amazing. I’m guessing @YoYoExpertGarrett can solve this mystery quick!

3 Likes

Idk I was gonna toss it. I tried two different bearings. I have other pads too. I’ll try replacing them and look for scuz. If that don’t work den dass it mayne.

1 Like

Yeah, it could be a bent axle or something wrong with the bearing seat. A replacement axle can address the former, but only a completely yoyo replacement can fix the latter.

3 Likes

Perhaps the pads are stuck out into the response area just a bit. Have you tried pouring silicone and recessing it?

3 Likes

My philosophy and situation also. I’m all about the experience. I’ll buy stuff I’m pretty certain I won’t really love, but I want to experience that too. I still throw the few yoyo’s I actually outright hate, just because I continue to try to understand why I hate it and what the designer had in mind.

6 Likes

This has 100% changed a couple CLYW throws for me. I’ve come to the conclusion that snow tires can be just a bit too much, even the firmer ones. Those super soft snow tires are so grabby I can’t stand them.

6 Likes

Nah I’ve never even tried that lol

1 Like

I do not believe in coincidences.
I do believe in gross pollution, and a 1000 yoyos makes my head spin.

Priorly, in another discussion, you mentioned that you are not even a collector. Articulating in your statement that you don’t “buy” yoyos to “collect” for collector purposes. What ever that meant…I’m easily confused or misconstrued?

Anyway, I once knew you as an active yoyo modder, but I haven’t seen a mod come out of ye shop in…I cant remember when?
Did I miss out, as I don’t participate around here as often as I should?

I would thoroughly enjoy seeing more of yo’r mods in the future.
No Stock Yoyos…Chop Cut Rebuild.
I challenge you to put ye calipers back to work inspiring us with fresh creativity like we haven’t seen before. Obviously you have a plethora of yoyo stock to build something wild.

My dream yo has always been a HOOSIER tire-theamed wheel-mag SpeedWay 888…with Checker Flags of course!
Purple Black White Silver…include a Trophy-Girl too.

Just saying I miss yo’r shop work. Wish you still modded.

Respectfully~

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this question a bit lately and I think I felt buyers remorse upon buying Rain City Skills’ The Gamer. Through no faut of the company I got hit by import tax, but it also didnt come with the bearing removal tool or wider bearing as advertised so heavily on the site. My own fault for not mentioning it at the time I suppose but also it just doesn’t really work for me as an unrepsonsive yoyo, essentially I paid way more for it than I would have liked and got something that I don’t really enjoy.

3 Likes

I kinda felt this way with my Vayder, with regards to the tax. I got stung by customs and had to pay £55 on top of shipping. Really put me in a downer with that yoyo, which was a shame because I’d been looking forward to it for months. Haven’t really thrown it that much because I always think of that charge when I pick it up, and it’s a great yoyo.

1 Like