Butterfly mod

Is there any way to mod a Duncan butterfly?

I’m sure there is, is this for fun? or do you have goal?

Yes anything you want, even a bearing seat. Almost anything can be modded if modded by the corect person.

My favorite and most effective mod is to twist some thin string and use some parafifn wax on the string :wink: … but that’s not really a modification to the yoyo.

or you could

Take apart… put wood axle and take off one of the starburst add weight rings. I tried and it didn’t play well but i was hasty in my mod and rushed it and i started with one where the gap was set crooked and it had vibe when it was stock. I rushed my homemade weight rings too and they didn’t fit perfect… My point is… it is easy to mess up.

It wouldn’t be terribly hard to put a bearing in one… but cutting a recess for the bearing spacers and doing it right is where it starts to get complicated. but i’d buy a 6.50 butterfly XT and call it a day instead of putting a bearing. Wonder if the OG butterfly caps would fit?

Very carefully…

Yup… if you just want to mod just for the sake of modding and enjoy that kind of thing. Get a 1/4" wooden dowel some super glue… and hack away.

If you want to make sure it’s a good player …

Buy the XT … put OG caps on… get wood axle sleeve if that’s your thing… do away with one of the starburst or both and/or recess it for silicone …

Is he talking about the new XT Butterfly or the OG Plastic butterfly they sell at walm☆rt?

I’m talking about the og butterfly

If you want just do whatever :).

The plastic is very soft making it hard to work with, even on a lathe.

Gosh that’s helpful.

will a picture help…

im going to adjust my weight rings and see if it plays better before I hack up another

To answer the question, yes you can mod a Butterfly. How do you mod it? Depends on what you want to so basically whatever you want to. He is not asking how he is asking “Is there a way”."

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to put a bearing on the og butterfly?

To do that job takes more than a tutorial. You need the proper tools, such as a lathe to cut the bearing seat etc.

Buy a Butterfly XT.

and put og caps in it…

The point im trying to make is… in theory it’s easy.  But actually doing it to where you have a good player and it’s done right is difficult.  this is why we asked if you were doing it for fun or if you wanted to end up with a useable yoyo.

there’s a post in here about some mods that can be done www.kwos.ca - Ken's World on a String - Yo-yo tricks for beginners made simple and easy (yoyo-tips)

here’s a link to a review done for some that were done by a pro … http://www.yoyoskills.com/?p=1243

oh wow

I did one recently I drilled a hole in the caps so I could fit a threaded insert and cut the axle area to take a wood axle

Why do you need a threaded insert for a wood axle? You could just as easily substituet a wood axle for the metal one, which is what people were doing a few years back.