Butterfly mod

I think he means he put threads into the halves and the wood axle has threads so it is take-apart with a wood axle and threads inside the caps???. Correct me if I am wrong. Just a guess.

the threaded inserts pop into the caps to make it take apart. Then I cut the area were the response is for the axle. Quote from ed haponik " wood axles are more consistent than metal axles for stalls and such". That is y I chose a wooden axle

I modified mine for great fixed-axle type tricks. It sleeps roughly ten seconds. I popped the caps off, and replaced them with knex 8-slot pieces. Great mod.

OK, thanks. Never questioned the wooden axle, just the inserts.

I remember someone turning a Butterfly into an Imperial at the WYYC.

You could make it like a No Jive 3 in 1.

You could get a longer axle and bolts for each side put some mod spacers on put the caps back on… I’m Definatley gonna try that when I get home…

By turning plastic into wood?

Plastic No Jive 3 in 1 :). Basically I meant 3-1. I don’t know why I added No Jive.

Still improbable because the construction is so radically different. How would the Pagoda mode work?

Just a thought :).

I modify mine with a wooden axle and weight rings from the local craft store. Pretty effective, but I haven’t had much time to revisit my take apart idea. Should be pretty easy if you have a method of drilling a straight hole through a wooden dowel to make a sleeve such as TMBR yoyos have. Just epoxy a screw nut into axle “socket” on the inside of the sidecaps, threadlock a set screw in one half and put the dowel sleeve over it and screw that sucker together. I like to sand down the starbursts a little to even out the response. If you look at the inside of BC wooden yoyos, for example, the whole inside wall is sanded providing a very smooth response no matter where the string contacts the wall.

To make it very unresponsive, keep reading.

I treat all of my wooden axles (TMBR, Duncan, TK/BC, whatever) by dunking a string into liquid candle wax to coat a section of it, coil the wax-touched string around the axle, grip the yoyo between my knees, and while holding both ends of the string, slowly pull the coil through the yoyo several times. The friction of the string coiling through the axle warms up the wax and polishes a little into the axle making it shiny and free of burrs, marks, splinters, and alot of friction. I think it plays pretty well, but be careful that you don’t pull too fast and friction-burn the axle, or snap it.

Basically, I did whatever with the yoyo because it’s blank slate. The hardest part is working the halves loose for the first time because it’s hard to grip them. Luckily, I am a man full of muscle so I get my way, but maybe for some of the younger kids, a manly man is required. Don’t pry the halves apart because either the plastic will crack, you will damage the inside walls, or both.